News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Yeh Baby!

Started by Rastaman, August 17, 2005, 08:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rastaman

Well I put my clipper out on the road today for the first test drive....hey it was only about 5 miles...but....it was on the road...took her up to 70mph for brife moment....that baby ran sweet....still need some more work..like front shocks, and tires....but the engine ran smooth and the tranny even smoother,,couldnt even feel it shift...
I am feeling vert encouraged at this point, and anxious to start on the cosmetics and housekeeping.
YEH MON !    8)
rasta

bigray

Glad it performed well!

Andy Illes

WOOOOO HAH!!   One word (well, sort of a word)...  :lol:

Light up onna those special Jamaican.... ummmmm... well, you know.

Congrats buddy.... really glad it ran well!!!!!!

Rodney

That's great to hear.
Refresh my memory? What have you done so far?
FYI I replaced my front shocks this spring with a set of coil overs to help lift the front end a bit. Well it did that ok I gained about an inch but if I had to do again I wouldn't go with the coil overs. I now have an extra bounce when driving slow and hitting bumps :(  
One thing I may do is, I have been looking for some kind of mounts for another set of shocks up front but don't know if there is enough clearance for them. The front end could stand some more support in the front to stiffen up the ride.
Rodney

Rastaman

Rodney...this is the one that had been park for a few years...(i thought 5...turns out to be only 2 this month)...well i got the tranny working by changing the filter,replaced master cyl. spk.plugs., vlt.reg. and other minor stuff. I thought I needed frt. shocks because it does bounce (like after going over speed bump,(where i am from we call them sleeping police men)...could it be that i dont need shocks?...anyway I am planning on pulling the rear wheels off this weekend...ck bearings, and maybe slap some tires on them. will probably drain and replace diff oil....
QUESTION....do these clips generally bounce in the front????

rasta.....77 21'    (the resurrection continues)

Rodney

mine dose now :?:  but I didn't notice it being as bad as it is now.
I would guess your front shocks are Toasted. easy check pull them off and manually compress and pull out to see if there is any life left it them.
It's fun and rewarding to getter running isn't it :D
be sure and pay attention to how the wheels register in to the brake drum/hubs and wheels, as mine you have to stager them so they fit flush and make sure you get the lug nuts good and tight. One of the pins on the drum as busted off mine so it could have gone togehter wrong if I was paying attention....my clipper came with a wrench and a long bar for this. I would check them after yor run a few miles down the hi way. a little shot of WD 40 on the thread before assembly to make sure you are getting a good torque on them if they are rusty.
Later Gator :wink:

Rastaman

Thanks Rodney...thats something i would never of thought of paying attention to (wheels)....and i'll check them shocks too....oh yes...it is agood felling seeing it come together...little by little...just eating that elephant....one bite at a time..... :lol:

rasta

Rastaman

Well I drained and replaced diff lube today...got all the lights (not all the clarance ones)working....repaired some rust spots at bottom of both doors.....that tiger hair (Bet Rodney knows what I am talking about) is some awesome stuff....getting close guys ...one bite at a time....
david

Rastaman

Well guys I am getting closer...repairs todate are:-
Flush transmision and replace filter,change engine oil and filter,flush and replace diff. oil.
replace spark plugs,master cylinder,voltage regulator.
pressure wash,exterior.seal roof vents (temp fix).clean interior.minor body work on few rust spots on doors. paint repaired areas, and brown stripes on hood.paint front wheels,
All lights now functional,along with wipers.replace all exhaust hangers.
Yet to be done:-
Roof A/C compressor not coming on...Need to leave pluged in for extended time to check refrige. Check front shocks for wear, replace if needed.. Reair water damage area of ceiling by vent. minor plumbing and cosmetic repairs....Buff/polish fiber glass shell (gotta wait till temps cool down)..
AND last but Not least...at least 4 NEW rear tires. (found used ones..they want $50 each..can get new for $80).
Then I can  move her, to her new covered home 200 miles away...where she can rest peacefully....till gas prices come back down, and i can afford to take her on a trip :-)
Isnt life good?
david

Horst

Be sure to check the date on those used tires - might be better off getting new - but if they're from this year?? and only have 10k on them or so? - might be worth considering..........
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Andy Illes

Well folks... happy news.  American Clippers are hurricane-proof.... at least Fred is..... HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  That is.... except for what I think is onna the (leaky) ladder mounts.... which basically results in a VERY wet rear wall in the bathroom.... I mean, like, think Niagra Falls here!  

Oh well, nothing to do 'till this thing blows out tomorrow (today) morning.

Thanks for alla PM/email well wishes!

Thankfully, this one landed 150 mi to the south... below Ft. Lauderdale.. they really got pounded... 80-90mph!!   All I got here is a lotta rain.... LOTTA rain, but no wind to speak of.  Few gusts to maybe 40mph... still getting bursts of rain from the feeder-bands, but only little wind gusts now (3:30 AM).  No lightning at all.  Been out with the horses all night to keep 'em calm, so just stayed out here in Fred (has his own "stall" at the end of the barn, though just overhead cover... rain drives in).  Gave new meaning to those "If this is a rockin', don't come a knockin'" bumper stickers, lol.  Actually, the horsies took it better than me...  most of 'em snoozing right through it all... a few looking around, wondering what the pasture'll taste like inna morning.... and why I'm out here.

How'd yours make out, Rasta?  Same?  

Few of you "wrong coast" folks mentioned you're glad you don't get these things.... but hey.... I'll take hurricanes.  At least our dirt doesn't move around like y'all's does out there!  I suggest you folks buy all the San Andreas land you can possibly get your hands on.... cuz it's gonna be prime waterfront soon, when y'all wind up bobbing out to Hawaii....  :lol:  

One sortta comforting thought.... Katrina may nail Houston... but no BigRay... you may NOT stuff the cute little kid in your leaks... no, no, no, NOOO!!!   Don't they have child protection agencies out there???

Again, thanks for the well wishes, doin' fine....  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Andy Illes

Well folks... happy news.  American Clippers are hurricane-proof.... at least Fred is..... HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  That is.... except for what I think is onna the (leaky) ladder mounts.... which basically results in a VERY wet rear wall in the bathroom.... I mean, like, think Niagra Falls here!  

Oh well, nothing to do 'till this thing blows out tomorrow (today) morning.

Thanks for alla PM/email well wishes!

Thankfully, this one landed 150 mi to the south... below Ft. Lauderdale.. they really got pounded... 80-90mph!!   All I got here is a lotta rain.... LOTTA rain, but no wind to speak of.  Few gusts to maybe 40mph... still getting bursts of rain from the feeder-bands, but only little wind gusts now (3:30 AM).  No lightning at all.  Been out with the horses all night to keep 'em calm, so just stayed out here in Fred (has his own "stall" at the end of the barn, though just overhead cover... rain drives in).  Gave new meaning to those "If this is a rockin', don't come a knockin'" bumper stickers, lol.  Actually, the horsies took it better than me...  most of 'em snoozing right through it all... a few looking around, wondering what the pasture'll taste like inna morning.... and why I'm out here.

How'd yours make out, Rasta?  Same?  

Few of you "wrong coast" folks mentioned you're glad you don't get these things.... but hey.... I'll take hurricanes.  At least our dirt doesn't move around like y'all's does out there!  I suggest you folks buy all the San Andreas land you can possibly get your hands on.... cuz it's gonna be prime waterfront soon, when y'all wind up bobbing out to Hawaii....  :lol:  

One sortta comforting thought.... Katrina may nail Houston... but no BigRay... you may NOT stuff the cute little kid in your leaks... no, no, no, NOOO!!!   Don't they have child protection agencies out there???

Again, thanks for the well wishes, doin' fine....  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Conrad

Left coaster Andy, left coast.

Yeah, I for one think you all are nutz to go through the storms you all get every year.  But hey, pour another one just like the other one.

The dirt moves but only every couple hundred years!  Besides, all that dirt we sent 25 years ago gave the Chicago area some fantastic sunsets.

Andy Illes

Yeah, yeah, yeah Conrad..... I'll keep that in mind when the CNN headline's "Massive quakes split California.  New sea forms.  Enter naming contest now".... and Forbes reports "San Andreas catastrope creates instant billionaires"

Uh huh.  Every 25 years, huh?   Snicker.