News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Fuel Injection

Started by Rusty, September 16, 2002, 02:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I have a 1973 with a great running Dodge 360.  It runs it's original Carter 2 Barrel Carb.  I've heard quite a lot about Edlebrock 4 barrels, but what about fuel injection? My mechanic has one still in the box that he bought and has never used.  He says he'll sell it to me for what it cost him and thinks the old 360 might really benefit.  The other mechanic in the shop kind of "Poo Poo's" the injection idea.  He agreed that I could probably do the install myself and then bring it in for the final tweaking, but feels the gain, if any, will not be worth the trouble.  Has anyone out there looked into or done such a conversion?  This one is a Throttle Body type I beleive and would not require changing the intake.  I'd sure like a little friendly advice befor I make the plunge.

Help!  Thanks,

RUSTY

cat

My advise is to first check with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (B.A.R.) to see if such an installation is legal and meets Calif. emission standards.  I realize you've got a '73 which is exempt from smog checks but it wouldn't hurt to check to see if such an installation would affect the selling of your rig when the time comes.  Better to find out now than later, when it's too late.

Rusty

Hey Tiger Cat..

Thanks for the reply.  Your right about the possiblility that I maight have to change it back to "Carb" if I should ever want to sell it, but that's something I'd be willing to do.  

I've gotten about as much possitive advice on this as I have negative, but none from people who have actually made the conversion.  The price of the injection unit is $350.00, plus an electric fuel pump and misc. extras.  It's not a huge sum, but I'd like to think that my labor will be time well spent, and adding even 2mpg, would be worth my while. But why haven't I heard about others doing this?  Maybe there is a good reason.  From what I've experienced, most vehicles will benifit from (both in fuel milage and preformance) fuel injection.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Let's hear from some more people on this.

Thanks again,

RUSTY