News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

asbestos

Started by ClipperFrank, August 12, 2020, 10:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClipperFrank

Hi everyone...about to replace some water damage in my '78 AC and in the process of tearing down the roof and wall panels affected.
Anyway, (stupid question I know) does anyone know if the insulation present inside the ceiling/wall panels contain asbestos? Just trying
to be extra cautious. I know there are labs where I can send samples for eval but I thought I'd try here first and see if I can get any answers. thanks again!

Toedtoes

I have never heard of asbestos in the clippers.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

SierraJoe

From what I have read, if it's pink or yellow it is made from fiberglass and unlikely to contain asbestos. If it is gray, it is mineral wool and may contain asbestos. I also read that insulation that contained asbestos was usually loose. Attached is a photo of the insulation from my 77 Clipper. It's a little dirty but yellow in color and has a paper backing. I wish I would have read the back side of the paper when I had the wall and ceiling open. The thought of asbestos never occurred to me.  When I removed the insulation, it was firmly attached to the paper backing. The only way to be 100% sure would to have it tested. If you do take a sample out see if you can get information from the backing before you get it tested. I would be interested in what you find out.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

ClipperFrank

Thanks for the inputs Toedtoes and SierraJoe. All in the clear, no asbestos in the 78 AC at least none in the cabin. Now when I open the hood and start working on the engine, that maybe a different story.

I will try to post pics of my work. Hopefully I don't screw this up.  :)

Stay safe everyone!