News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Back from the road!

Started by Koamileli, March 13, 2019, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koamileli

Hi Everyone,

Well, I just completed my fly-and-drive from CA to NC by way of OR, WA, OR, ID, NV, UT, AZ, NM, TX, AR, and TN. Just a couple miles short of 5,000 total miles from start to finish, at a total fuel cost of a few dollars over $2,000. I hit quite a few snags along the first half of the journey (major electrical issues, major water leaks, new motor and xmsn mounts, new alternator, new plugs/wires/cap, new radiator, new belts, new brake pads and rotors, 6 new tires, new converter, ugh)...at one point I was almost ready to give up midway through the journey as the flood of issues just kept coming one after the other.

Things finally leveled out somewhere in AZ, and I was able to make it back in one piece. Now the real work begins. Cosmetically have not had time to do much besides fabricate shoe shelving in the bottom of the wardrobe, more shelving above the fridge to accommodate pots and pans, and had the dinette cushions re-done by a guy who also made a snap cover for the overhead mezzanine where I keep all my camping/climbing gear (keeps everything secure when the brakes are applied). That overhead storage is one of my absolute favorite parts of the entire van. I will upload a photo as I think it is a very worthwhile modification.

Looking forward to getting this thing feeling more like home and getting the rest of the bugs worked out. Full time living in an American Clipper has a big learning curve, especially when its your first ever home on wheels.

Koamileli

Here's the snap cover I had made for the overhead storage area

Clipper Joe

Hello,
What State Are You From?
Also, What Year & Type Of Clipper, Do You Own?
Dodge Or Chevy?

Thanks,
Clipper Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Koamileli

Hi Joe and everyone else!

I bought my 1976 AC in California and drove it back to Raleigh NC. It's a Dodge Sportsman with the 821 FC floorplan, which I happen to think is the best! 440ci V8 is a hog...I averaged about 8 mpg for the trip, but you already knew that. Really glad this forum exists, thanks for keeping it going! Looking forward to learning a bunch here.

SierraJoe

Sounds like quite an adventure, glad to see that you made it home saftely and were able to take care of things as they popped up. I was nervious to drive my new Clipper home from 10 miles away (with my wife following me).
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440