News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

No spark on 1977 440

Started by jojo4910, October 08, 2017, 03:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo4910

Hi everyone,
We need help with an issue on our 1977 440 Clipper. Sometimes it will start and other times there is no spark. We replaced the battery, starter, and module. It seems to be intermittent . Could it be the ignition coil or something else. Help! We want to take it south for the winter. We were going to sell it, but decided we love it too much. Soon as we get it running, we plan on becoming members.

Thanks, Jo

Toedtoes

I had that problem with my 360.  I ended up doing this conversion:  http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/#/topics/203358

I haven't had any trouble since.  I wasn't able to fit the HEI coil in my doghouse, so I stuck with the standard.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

rvguy101

for my the ignition coil went out. napa sell them usa made. for $ 20, to $ 39. my was $ 28.89. 2 years on my coil, & she fire up evertime.
77 dodge clipper, with 20,000 miles. & a 85 Vogue motor coach diesel 35 foot.

jojo4910

Thanks for the reply from both of you. We replaced the ignition coil and resistor coil. It started after replacing both, but now it won't turn over again. Any suggestions?  Help!!!

Also, the link you posted doesn't take me to the conversion. Would you mind reposting?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Toedtoes

That's what I was going through with mine.  I'd replace everything and then it would stop starting again.

The link takes you to the Dodge forum.  The thread it takes you to has the conversion detailed.  He starts by identifying the parts you'll need and then goes on to explain how to do it.

I haven't had a starting issue since.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

smartin9913

The conversion referred to works really well. I did it on one of my old cars.  It worked great and now I have it on all of them.
  My dad used to carry a spare ballast resistor in his 78 dodge truck       always
The only reason I?m not doing it on our clipper is that the engine is getting swapped out for a cummins 5.9 Diesel

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Please Let Us Know, & Would Be Real Nice To See Photos On,
Your Diesel Upgrade.
Would Love To Do The Same.

Are You Doing This Yourself, Or Having This Done For You?
Can You Also, Let Us Know The Cost Of This Undertaking.

Thanks Again, & Welcome,

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher