News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Coming Back to Calif

Started by Rd Ready, March 13, 2015, 09:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rd Ready

So I am coming back to Calif from Mississippi I hope to finish working on my Clipper. and get Him updated. Plus I plane on Documenting my Trip on Youtube. If anybody would like to offer technical assistance I would Appreciate it.. I am gonna be working on the interior And exterior I need to replace Paneling in the bathroom and the roof , Plus a lot of other thing's.. Nothing major. But I know the old timers could give me some good advice. Thank you Rd Ready out. Member 3782.

Sfine

What a fun road trip that will be.
Once you've dialed in the repairs and all is good, you will be so glad that you decided to keep the Clipper. I'm happy to hear that you're going to stick with it .
I personally have not got so involved to open up walls and ceilings, so I'm not much help there. But most everything else I've addressed at one time or another, seems there is a process we all go thru fixing up these ol beauties.  Practical and needed repairs, cosmetic, and then upgrades. ClipperJoe has the record of gadgets, whistles and bells... It might even drive itself 😏
I know I have read in recent posts of people who have gutted parts of the interior and fixed leaks or whatever. These posts would be most helpful to you,  I would imagine. If you poke round the site, you'll find them.
Anxious to see some of your YouTube action. 
Best of luck and perseverance .
SF
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Rd Ready

Thank you Sfine, But honestly. I am just gonna get Him Roadworthy. Then Off I go, I can't do the Leak repairs out here,  it rains too Darn much, So I am just gonna go thru my Checklist, make sure everything is Tip top, then take off. I got new brakes and tires  before I left calif. But I am Concerned a Little about the transmission, According to my 1976 Voyager Dodge compact manual, when the fluid gets low a Light is Supposed to come on... But I don't see where that Light could be, there is only the blinker lights and a Brake Light.  :-\   I looked under the Hood for the Tranny dipstick but only found the oil, so I referred to the Manual and it said it is under the Doghouse, But I can't move that enough to find it, DO you Know if I have to Take out the Passenger seat so I can remove the Dog house  to see it ? I would much rather have a Visual on the Dipstick then to Depend on a Light that might not be there. >>. See I figured, Once I get to cali, I have a Friend who owns a yard where I could work on Him.. for a small fee. which would make it easier for me to do a Little at a time.  Yes I have been going through all the Posts left by other members concerning some of these issues, in fact some two or three times. but I could not find anything on the Transmission like what I described. But in the mean time, I am checking all Mechanical parts for replacement or to fix.. I can't wait to come to a rally. thanks Sfine.

Clipper Joe

Hi Rd Ready,

On The Trannie, Those Torqueflite 727 Is A Beeffie Unit.
I Always Take Off Pass Seat, Has 4ea. 1/4" Nuts, Use 7/16" Scocket & Remove It.
Will Make It A lot Easier To Remove Doghouse They
May Also Have A Carpeted Plywood Unit In Front You Want To Remove Also.
Some Clippers Use A Clamp & Screw 3ea. Each Side & One In Front Bottom, Take Them Off.
You Slide Doghouse Back, Then Tip Up To Remove.

On My 1977 Dodge Dip Stick Has A Plastic That Is A Dipstick & Trans Sensor Unit, Light Is On Dash Under Radio Benzel.
If You Have A Metal Dipstick You Do Not Have A Warning Light.

You Want To Check On Level Ground & With Transmission Fluid Warm, In Park.
If You Have Stock Pan Its About 4-5 Qts Fluid.

I Installed A Extra Deep B&M Alumiun Pan Takes 8 Qts. I Use ATF-3 Delco Fluid.
Just Had My Trannie Checked, Rebuilt It Sometime Back Have About 2,000 Miles On It. Just Wanted To Add Extra Cap. Pan For A lot Of Hill Pulling Trips & Also Added Trans Temp. Guage On Steering  Column Will Try & Snap A Few Photos Of It.

Hope That Helps,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Rd Ready

Thank you Clipper Joe.. I appreciate the Info..  ;D I will Look into it.. today.

Clipper Joe

Great

When Are You Planning Your Return Trip To Calif?
Are You Going To Southern Or Northern?

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Rd Ready