News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Hirz Bay Campground - Shasta/Trinity National Forest

Started by Toedtoes, February 14, 2015, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

Lizard Rating:

I have stayed here about 3 or 4 times in the past couple years and it's another of my favorites.  It is on the McCloud arm of Lake Shasta.  It's about a 4 hour trip from Sacramento the majority of that on I-5.

There are about 42 campsites here, all back in.  There are a few doubles and lots of singles and even some tent only sites.  The price for a single is currently $20/night.  There is potable water available from several spigots throughout the campground and flush toilets.  There is a camp host - as last noted, very nice and easy going.  Each campsite has a paved spur, picnic table, bear safe, and firepit.  The sites are fairly far apart from each other, but you will see your neighbors.  It is open year round and many of the sites are reservable online (www.recreation.gov).  The single sites (non-tent only) are big enough to hold a clipper.  Off-season it is pretty empty and quiet.

The area is very pretty.  The Shasta Caverns are nearby.  There is a boat ramp available about a mile away.  There is a hiking trail starting at the campground, but as of my last stay, it fallen trees had it closed.  It is bear territory, so appropriate bear safety should be followed.  While the campground is right on the lake, due to the deep sides of Lake Shasta and the low water level during this drought, direct access to the lake from the campground is often not possible.   

Generators are allowed for limited time periods.  Dogs on leash only (PLEASE keep your dogs on a leash or we risk having them forbidden).

Moose-dog and Bat-dog enjoy the campground and the trail.  They knock off a full lizard because there isn't a strong lizard population in the area and there are ticks.  They find the campers to be reasonably well-mannered (the occasional loose dog peeing along the edge of our campsite or coming at them while on a hike does occur, but most campers behave appropriately).  They knock another 1/2 lizard off because of the inability to access the water unless the lake is at full capacity.

Lizard Ratings are given by Moose-dog and Bat-dog (screen names) and are on a scale of 1 to 4 with 4 being the tops.  They consider dog-friendly activities, wildlife viewing, scenic beauty, and camper manners in their ratings.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Looks Like A Nice Place To Camp. It Also Looks Like The Fishing Is Good To.
My Little Doggie Is Not A RVer More Of A Lap Dog Pet, But Annie Is My Baby. At Least I'm Able To Enjoy The Others That Are Around, After Alittle Smell They Seem To Be Okay With Me.There Is Always Alittle Treat You Can Blackmail Them Into Liking You.. :)

The Thing It Is About a 6 Hour Drive From Bayarea, So I Would At Least Plan On 5-7 Day Trip, To Be Worth The Long Drive. With That 440 Dodge Maybe A Few Extra Gas Stops.. :-\

Taking ' Wilson ' On A Few Day Trip To Check All The Front End Work. Not Going To Tow Boat This Time But They Have A Premium Boat Rental So I'll Probable Do That One Day, & Go For Some Kokhones They Are Running Shallow 25 Feet. They Are Land Lock Salmon. Great Fish. Also Found Out They Are Plannting Alot Of Trout This Weekend. ;D

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

I understand the travel time issue.  I like 4-day trips the best right now (work, pets, etc.) so I try to keep them within a 4 hr travel distance as much as possible.  When things are where I can take longer trips, I'll probably do a "road trip" type and go 2-4 hrs, stop for 3-4 days, go out another 2-4 hrs, stop for another 3-4 days, turn around and hit another campground on the way home for 3-4 days.

You've done very well blackmailing Bat-dog - unfortunately, she started being a snot towards Moose-dog about the treats.  She's a bit addicted to food, so a little goes a long way with her.

With the Shasta Dam, Shasta Caverns, Sundial Bridge (in Redding), etc. all within the area, you could easily make a combo trip and do some fishing and some sightseeing.  The campground is only about 1 hour from downtown Redding.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754