News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Bakersfield Clipper

Started by BakersfieldClipper1, June 06, 2014, 06:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BakersfieldClipper1

Hello Clipper World!

My wife and I bought a 1978 American Clipper from a used car lot here in Bakersfield this past week. We're enjoying reading the threads and hope to join the ACOC soon.

We're excited to own a piece of history; the RV is older than both of us and it's exciting that we can promote this camper with personality to a new generation in Buck Owens' back yard.

:D

Kelly

Toedtoes

Welcome to the world of clippers!  There is a ton of info on this website.  When you mail your membership registration form in (assuming you do join the club), send me a PM and I'll upgrade your status to National Club Member so you can start accessing the Technical Forum without delay.

There are several 1978 clipper owners active on the forum.  Clipper Joe is one with tons of advice and info to share.  Zoot just bought one also and Wackyman9183 is a fairly new owner of that year.

We're working on building a registry of user names and the year, make, engine and model of their clippers so it will be easier to find information relative to your RV's issues.

Glad you were able to catch a clipper by the tail.  Just act naturally and there won't be any heartaches by the number.  ;D
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello Kelly,

Welcome To The Clipper World, You Just Got One Of The Best RV's Ever Made. ;)

Toedtoes Is Right, Join The American Clipper Owners Club, There Is A Vast Amount Of Info That Will Help You Make A Safe RV.

Also, This Forum, Has Many Who Maybe Able To Help You With Some Of Those Hard Items, That Really Are Mine Blowing. Most Of The Old Threads Are Still Here On The Site, I Have A 2 Part Dodge Service Manual, I'm Hoping That Sometime, I Will Be Able To Fine The Time & To Scan & Put On A CD or DVD, 
For Club Members.

Since You Just Got Your New Clipper, Were You Able To Get It Checked Ie; Brakes, Fluids, Leaks, Tires, & Heating Problems Etc.?

Knowing You Are From A Hot Part Of The State, We Are In East Bay Area. It Is Much Cooler Up Here.

Looking Forward To Your Questions, We All Have Them When We Start On This New Venture Of RV'en. ;D ;D

Good Luck,
Joe & Denise
ACOC# 3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

BakersfieldClipper1

Thanks for the welcome replies, Toedtoes, Joe and Denise!

We've been hard at work getting the Clipper road-ready. The engine is running great, AC is cold and for having sat so long in the used car lot where we found it, it's in great shape . Only complications so far (relatively minor in my book):

1. Brake Lights/Tail Lights: Reverse lights and turn signals are working but the brake lights don't work. I suspect it's a brake light switch issue. The tail light assemblies need to be replaced. They've seen better years. I'll also need to replace several of the marker lights.
     2. The DC charging unit had been stripped from the RV before we got it. We replaced that. We also replaced the coach and engine batteries.
     3. The turn signal switch works but needs to be replaced.

We've been working on the cosmetic stuff ahead of our first trip:

1. Restroom: We stripped the wallpaper, primed/painted, and installed new floors. Nice and pretty now!
     2. Kitchen: We removed the wallpaper, primed/painted and put a backsplash behind the stove (side kitchen model).
     3. Floors/Upholstery: Shampooed all carpets and upholstery. We hope to replace the upholstery soon but we're not in a rush. The existing carpet/upholstery cleaned up really nice. 
     4. Cleaned all cabinetry and re-lined the shelves. I'm going to change out the cabinet locks pretty soon, both exterior and the interior latches.
     5. Bunk Area: Replaced the mattress.
     6. Deep Cleaning: We went through everything, cleaning from top to bottom. It was almost as if you could hear the Clipper thanking us for saving it from that old car lot.

We're really proud of this Clipper and happy to see such a welcoming network. The unit has a personality, and certainly stands out from others. Thank you all for contributing your time and heart into this forum.  :)

Kelly and Family

Toedtoes

I love reading these posts from the new owners so in love with their clippers!  I've had mine just over a year now and I still love it more than anything else I've seen.  I admit I window shop, but everything else just falls short of the clipper.  ;D
Sounds like you're getting it in great shape.  Be sure to check the age of the tires and all rubber (belts, hoses, etc.).  Check for fuel leaks.  Check the propane system - another area that can be dangerous if not caught timely.  Other stuff is annoying, but not necessarily dangerous, if it stops working.

Please share your experiences with the clipper here.  At this point, there is only one local club (SF Bay Area) and the National Club.  There are lots of owners like you who are far enough out from the Bay Area that getting to the rallies isn't feasable.  We'd like to see this site become a full-blown virtual rally so that all owners can benefit from the combined knowledge.  And hopefully, we can bring back more local clubs throughout North America (we have several Canadian Clippers out there).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754