News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Clipper Price

Started by LARRY RAY, April 18, 2014, 05:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARRY RAY

Just curious as to the asking price of a 1978 Dodge Clipper. As far as I know it's all original. AC works, all appliances work, everything. Generator Onan 4kw runs well. Flooring is vinyl instead of carpet. 98000 miles  440 rebuilt transmission, fairly new tires by that I mean they are a few years old, but has been under cover for as long as I have owned her. Runs like a top. does have a slight vibration at highway speed, but myself and several mechanics have yet to determine where it is so I just quit worrying about it. Basically she's in top notch condition just needs someone to own and enjoy. I'm just getting to old to do it any longer. So what might you feel is a fair price? Thanks   One more item. Has door side awning.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Sfine

Hi Larry,
I've shopped and shopped..looked everywhere before we purchased our 78 Clipper and found that the prices vary considerably . I have seen " immaculate" rigs go as high as 7K...then some who claim the rig is in great shape sell at or around 5K.    I was fortunate in that the seller already had replaced his Clipper with a new RV and just wanted to unload it. I paid 3K..all original...all working. I would say its in very good shape and most of all reliable...I would drive it most anywhere tomorrow. I did have to clean it up as it had sat.?
Not sure I helped you out at all, but I can say if yours is in the condition you claim, people are willing to pay anywhere in the neighborhood of 5k.  Anyone who has researched, knows that these are desirable.
Best of luck on your sale...I wish that you were in California, too often I am asked if I'd like to sell our Clipper....how would I ever replace it !?!?
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

bulldog 1995

I've seen them on CL for between 5-6K always gone in less then a week. I got lucky with mine, traded a running project 1971 GMC Suburban strait across for it with delivery of about 300 miles one way!
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

Toedtoes

Over the past several years, I have found that clipper prices seem to range as follows:

$2,000 and under - bad condition; both house and chassis have extensive issues; will need towing to move; etc.
$2,001 to $4,000 - fair condition; either house or chassis will have at least one extensive issue; several smaller issues in house and/or chassis.
$4,001 and up - good condition; should be mechanically sound;  May need some minor chassis/engine work;  All appliances should be in working order.

A few items that I find are "outside" of the above general considerations:

Cab A/C - this may or may not work in clippers of any condition.  It's so expensive to get older A/C systems repaired that it is above and beyond what most people consider worthwhile for an under $10,000 rig.

Tires - because RV tires will deteriorate before they wear out, it is recommended that they get replaced every 5-7 years regardless of wear.  For that reason, unless they are brand new, they really aren't a major factor into price.  Expect to put out about $1200 on tires when buying a used RV of any kind.

Batteries - like tires, these are considered a normal item to have to replace immediately when buying a used RV.  It will not significantly add value to the RV to rush out and buy a new battery before putting it up for sale.

Options - awnings, televisions, stereos, generators, etc. don't really add any value when selling an older RV like these.  They will not convince folks to spend more money on the RV than if it didn't have them.

The best way to get the most money out of your clipper is to get the engine working well.  The engine is the biggest price killer.  The next biggest price killer is the interior condition - soft spots in the walls, warped or ruined paneling/wallpaper, ripped out appliances, etc will hurt the price dramatically.  The third price killer is the fridge - if it doesn't work, they will expect to see the price drop significantly (a good $1,000).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754