News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

A new adventure

Started by quartermile, March 07, 2014, 01:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quartermile

Hi everyone, my husband Dave and I just acquired a '75 Clipper rear kitchen, 33K miles in pretty darned good condition considering it's nearly 40 years old.  Got it the first part of December and Dave has been going through it mechanically, replacing the wiring, etc.  Fixing leaks too.  Still has to check out the water heater and see if the propane tanks are any good.  Sadly does not have the original fridge - looking for a replacement.  Also needs to see why the converter isn't working.  My job is the interior once we are certain the leaks are fixed.  Would like to make it to one of the rallies some time soon!  Looking forward to meeting folks and sharing stories. - Joyce Furlong

Toedtoes

Congratulations!!  What engine do you have in it?  I have the '75 rear kitchen 360 engine.  I love it!

Fridges can be expensive, especially if you can't install it yourself.  Check the tech forum for old posts about replacing the fridge for info. I'm not sure if you have a fridge at all or just not the original.  If you have one in there, are you certain the fridge doesn't work?  It could be the converter (if it's not running on electrical) or the propane that is the problem.  Mine stopped working on propane one day - it was because the regulator on the propane tank stopped working and the gas was over-pressured.

The great thing about the clippers is that they are 5 sheets of fiberglass.  That means there are fewer places for leaks.  And once you get the seams around windows, vents, AC, etc. nicely caulked, you won't have any trouble.

My converter was having problems also.  They were able to get it to convert, but they couldn't get it to charge the battery.  Fortunately, I had a converter/charger that I pulled from my old travel trailer, so they hooked that up just for charging purposes.  Ended up cheaper than trying to find parts and fixing the old one completely.

The next national rally is in May.  Details should be coming soon.  The Bay Area local chapter has an outing monthly.  If you can't make it for the entire weekend, you can always drop by for a day if it's local for you.  And you're not required to bring a Clipper - so if it's not camping ready, no worries.  ;D
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

quartermile

Dave says it is a 360 engine same as yours.  Runs great. What kind of mileage do you get (should I even ask?). 

We do not have the original fridge - that is a story in itself that we will share around the campfire some time.  We have a regular AC fridge in the space for now, looking for a used RV fridge to replace it with.

Our converter charges the battery but does not convert.  Dave says it likely has a diode failure.

We are recaulking the skylights and windows.  Have had a few driving rainstorms to test and still getting water in the overhead bed area, so still working on it.  Meanwhile the cushions are coming along... :D

Toedtoes

I'm getting an average of about 8.5 in the foothills with lots of up and downs.  I got just over 10 on straight flat I-5.  Not bad.

AC fridge only doesn't do much if you have any intention of dry camping.  I'm so grateful my fridge was in good condition (just had to replace the thermocoupler).  This thread is a few years old, but it might be worth checking into for a fridge:  http://americanclipperownersclub.com/techforum/index.php?topic=1895.msg9128#msg9128

My kitchen skylight just started leaking with the rain last week.  I've got a tarp over it for the potential rain tonight and tomorrow.  I'll start caulking once I've got time to do everything.

Decorating is fun.  It's nice to see everyone's different style at the rallies.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello & Welcome Dave & Joyce,

Glad To Hear You Just Bought An American Clipper, It Sounds Like You Were Able To Fine A Low Mileage One 1973, Got To Give Him Or Her A Name, Have Found That It Will Bring You Luck.. :D

My Wife & I Own ' Wilson '  Have Owned Him Since I Think 2003, Our Clipper Is A 1977 Dodge 440Ci Rear Kitchen Also. It Was Sad That The Owners Did Not Spend Much Time On Up Keep Or Maintenance. :( :(

Have Had To Do A Lot Of Repairs Inside & Outside, Also, Have Done Some Modern Upgrades & Safety Changes, Don't Get Me Wrong Not To Bragg, Have Learned A Lot On Repairing & Restoring This Great RV. Have Worked On Restoring Cars In Past & Have Had A Few Other Campers & RV Before This One, I Feel That The American Clipper That Was Built From 1973-1980 Was The Best RV By Far, & They Are On The Road Today>>>> Keep The Dream Alive ;)

Hope To Meet You All & Go Over Are RV's.. I Have Not Yet Been Able To Make A National Rally, But Will Try For Next One.. Life Seems Always To Get Busy When You Least Except It.

If You Would PM Me & Leave You Contact Info, I Can Possible Be Able To Give Your Husband Dave Some Info On Power Center & Fridge I Have Installed Both In Wilson ;D

When You Caulk Roof Vents, Are You Using RV Dicor Self-Leveling White Caulking??,
Have Used This Product For Many Years & I Have Never Had A Leak.

What State Do You Live In? Will Be Happy To Help.

Joe & Denise
ACOC # 3749

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher