News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Clipper Check List

Started by Clipper Joe, February 13, 2014, 10:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hello All,

Wanted To Share A Check List That I Use Before I Take A Road Trip. (Made In Microsoft Word Doc. Format)

Please Feel To Update & Add Some Feedback ;D

Each American Clipper Owner Has There Favorite Way To Check Out There Rig Before A Trip, Please Send Us Your List, Will Sure Help Us All To Have A Safe Trip Or Outing.

Thanks So Much,

Joe & Denise
ACOC # 3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

That's great.  I used to have an extremely detailed one for my trailer because I ALWAYS forgot to remove the chock or plug in the connector or something.  I had one for when I drove out and one for when I parked it.

I've been able to get away from that with the Clipper, by using the RVMinders.  The biggies for me are:  Hookups; Windows/Vents/Doors; Steps/Ladders; Compartment Locks; and "Propane On" (that's one of my custom ones because I always forgot to shut off the propane).  As soon as I plug in the electrical, whap goes the Hookups RVminder on my steering wheel.  ;D

Since my clipper is at the house and I take it out for day trips, etc. a lot, the fluid levels, etc., are dealt with like my regular truck.  If I'm doing a camping trip, I usually check those when I fill my fresh water tank.

I do have to re-do my "supplies" checklist.  I had one for pantry items, etc., so I could make sure I was fully supplied at all times.  I need to get that updated and reprinted.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello Toedtoes,

Thanks For The Update, I Think I Forgot To Add A Few Things, Like Power Cord, (Propane LPG)

I Think I Do As You Do, Have Clipper Always Ready To Go. I Drain My Fresh Water Tank, & Waste Water Tanks Each Trip, I Take Everything Out Of Fridge & Clean & Shut Down Each Trip. I Make Sure I Turn Off LPG (Propane), & Shut Off All Power To Batteries. Take Out Anything That May Grows.
I One Time Forgot To Take Out A Few Potatoes, Remembered After A Few Months, They Were Really Sprouting When I Took Them Out. So Now I Double Check Everything.

I Always Date All Can Goods, & Sodas, Beer Etc, Also The Box Items, I Rotate With House Stuff So It Is Ready When I Go On A Trip.

I Have Another List Of  Things To Stock In A RV, It Was To Large To Upload On Site, Was A PDF, Will Have To Retype In A Word Doc, So We Can Share With Others, Hope To Generate More Feedback & Try And Get A Real Good List For All Members To Use.

It Would Be Nice To Be Able To Have Somethings So If We Were To Go To A National Rally, & I Have A Transfer Pump Or Air Compressor, Its One Less Thing You Would Have To Haul.. :)

There Is Not A Lot Of Space In These Clippers. Me Being A Pack-Rat & All ;D

Thanks Again For Your Update,
Joe
ACOC # 3749
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

I forgot that I shoved some lettuce in a bowl in a cupboard before driving home once...  I had a bowl of lettuce soup when I remembered.  :o

The power cord is a biggie - it's really embarrassing driving down the highway with a cord dragging.

I agree about space in the clippers.  I'm still fine tuning my supplies - especially the "tool box" cupboard and the outside compartment.

Sfine

Wow! I am so impressed with both of your detailed take off and landing lists. Especially me being a
" listless" type.  I lean more to the visuals..by doing a walk around like a pilot before a flight.
A dry run in the driveway always seems to jog my memory of what I might need, or forget. 
We have doubles of everything in the Clipper so there is very little loading and unloading, sheets, towels and all.  We could jump in it tonight and be gone.... Hmmmm not a bad idea!
As fas as winterizing.. I simply drain the water lines, not necessarily the fresh h2o tank as it won't freeze by volume, just the lines.  It's nice to have that extra emergency water if/when needed.
I realize one reason that I am so ...road ready all of the time ,    is due to the fire danger we face here in the foothills.  Evacuations happen at a moments notice, time is a precious luxury, if it allows at all.  In August of 1992 my home was consumed in a wildfire, ( the old gulch), didn't have the clipper then, but would have been nice to have a place to stay while the evac was in place.  So now,,,it's always to roll.
I think !!   ;)

1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi All,

Found This On Internet RV Site, Its A Basic List, A Start, Great For New RV'er.

Like Toedtoes Said, It Sure Helps To Have Something To Start With.

When I Get To Camping World, Going To Get Those Reminders, Age Creeping Up, Memory Not All There @ Times. 8)

Hope I Can Upload.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

That looks like a pretty good list for an initial setup.  I've fine tuned my setup over the past couple years and have them permanently stored in the clipper, so I don't worry about most of that stuff any more.

What I check each trip are the consumables:  batteries, olive oil, butter, soap, toilet paper, plastic baggies, WD40, motor oil, etc.  Nothing like getting to the middle of nowhere, pulling out the lantern and realizing the batteries are dead and I don't have any extra.  Or cooking up some cream of wheat and realizing I used all the sugar on the prior trip.

Attached is my "Replenish" checklist.  The food list is specific to my "normal" camping foods.  I will add other items as the urge/need arises, but these are my goto items.  Not every trip requires everything on the list, but I can easily see if I'm missing anything for that trip's meal planning.  I tried to sort items according to where they are stored so I can check down the list and not miss anything.

The RVMinders are really great.  Like SFine, I usually do a walk around for the windows, doors, cords/hoses, etc., but once I've walked around, I can sit in the driver seat and say "power unplugged - checked" and pull the RVMinder off the steering wheel.

Toedtoes

P.S.  I upped the maximum file size to 300kb with a max 2 attachments per post.  That should make uploading stuff a bit easier.

Clipper Joe

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks For Making it Easier For Upload, I Know There is Not A Lot Of Server Space So We Will Use Wisely.
I Like Your List, Will Download, from Laptop,
I Do A lot of Views With IPhone or IPad.

Looks Like I Will Not Make This National Rally,
But Will Make It For Sure Next One.

My Son Is Out This Week For A Wedding, He Lives In Kansas, Do Not See Him Much.
He Just Got Out Of A 10 Yrs In Army, 3 Tours In Iraq.
Real Proud For His Service.

He Said It Would Be Great To Make A Clipper A Mobile RV,When He Was In Army, Iraqis Would  Be In a World Of Hurt, Loaded With a Bunch of Big Machine Guns >:(

Please Thank A Vet For Keeping Us Free, ;D

Joe
ACOC# 3749
ACOC#3749

Clipper Joe

Hello All Of The 229  People For Have Viewed This Thread,

This Is A Nice Start, To Have A Basic Check-List.

The Sad Thing With All The Views, Only 2 Clipper Owners Have Replied.. ::)

I Have Noticed, That A Lot Of Viewers, Seem Not Taking The Time To Say Any Thing Good  ;D Or Bad  >:(

It Seems A Lot Of Posts Are Going On This Way.

So If We Want To Have A Web Site. And Keep One For The Future, Please Do Not Be Afraid To Post Something, Good Or Bad. There Is A Lot Of Work In Making This Work.

It Feels Nice When We Are Able To Help Someone, Who Has Had Problems, Or Has A New Idea, That Make Our Clippers Last Longer.

We First Thank The RV Hall Of Fame Irv Perch, All Officers, Of ACOC, & Also A Person That Has Gone Beyond To Work Hard On This Web Site>>> Toedtoes    :D :D  THANKS !!!

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

Most of the "views" on the website are actually spambots.  On the main forum page, you can see at the bottom a statement that says "# Guests, # Users" - the majority of the Guests are actually spambots.  The Users are all the registered users online at that moment.

jbtbbrewer

These are great. I have found checklists on line of what to include and such. As I posted before I try to have our rig stocked in case of a Hurricane ( say a prayer or send good vibes - we're coming up on our portion of the season we have to watch). I printed out the checklists posted here and want to formulate ours since we have small children. I will let you know what we come up with :)

Toedtoes

Small kids can make a whole different set of checklists...  ::)

Depending on how small, you might want to get them involved with their own checklists - let them be responsible for making sure their games, water toys, and so on are properly stowed.

With the trailer, I used a simple clipboard and walked around with it as I checked things off.  With the kids, you could make it a "picture checklist" with pictures of board games, playing cards, gameboys, floaters, water wings, etc., and a checkbox next to each.  They could then go and do a check to make sure they have all their gear put away.  If they didn't make sure it was there, then they do without (just don't put anything lifesaving on their list :)).

jbtbbrewer

What a GREAT idea!!!!! Thanks!

Toedtoes

My pleasure.  I'm a big one for letting kids pitch in and help.  If you can get them doing it in their early years (4 through 9), they are more likely to be willing to help in their teen years.