News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Getting Clipper Ready For Winter

Started by Clipper Joe, November 07, 2013, 06:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hello Everyone,

Just Wanted To Generate Some Debate On, Getting Your American Clipper Ready For Winter, Not Using Few Months.

I Will Be Filling Fuel Tank Up, Drain & Clean All Holding Tanks, Fresh Water Tank (Cleaned & Drained),
Make Sure All Vents Are Secured, Clean Fridge & Leave Door Slightly Opened To Air Out(Put In A Fresh Box Of Arm N Hammer Baking Soda. Also Charge & Disconnect House & Cab Batteries, (Use  Battery Disconnect Switches If You Have Them.) Wash RV & Cover With RV Cover If You Have One :D

I Just Bought One From American RV Company. It Is A Adcok Part# 32812 Fits 20'1" - 23' Designer Cover.  They Are On sale About $350.00 With Tax & Shipping. 

Lets Hear From Others On How They Store There Clippers, Or Have I Missed Anything? :)

Joe
ACOC#3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

For me, I don't really "winterize" it since I expect to use it for day trips year round. 

I always empty the fresh water, grey water and black water tanks after each trip, so I don't have to make a special end of season clean out. 

I don't cover it normally, but after a big rain, I will check for leaks, etc.  If any leaking, I will cover with a tarp until I can make the repairs.  So far, with the occasional small rains, I haven't had any leak problems, but I like to double check after each big rain.

I haven't worried about the batteries at this point.  If I'm going to leave it sitting for more than a month, then I have the cut-off switch for the house battery.  But so far, it's been used enough that I haven't done anything special.

With the fridge, I always empty perishables after a run (I'll leave sodas, water, etc.).  So far, I haven't had any issues with leaving it off for a week or two and I normally plug the RV in at home, so it will be on electric.  I empty perishables in the pantry also, so no worries there.  Also after each run, I remove, wash and return linens.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Jax

The only tip I can offer is {since I am winterizing now} is to use some moth-balls here & there if you have mice in the area & to put some steel-wool around area's that might deter mice from getting in such as mice climbing up the underside of your clipper? Other then that I'd like to jack-up the Cliper otherwise known as Fatboy, just enough to keep the wheels bairly off the ground & use jack stands. cover and all should be well come spring. I'm also am one of those who pull both batteries and bring them inside on a slow 1.5-amp trickle charger. There are many other things I do but just use your common sense in the area you live & protect your Clipper as best you can when not in use. Hope this made sense. Take care,

Brian
in PA.
1975 Dodge 360 Clipper 21' rear kitchen.

Sfine

I knew there was a reason I am in California rather than Pa.!!!  ....sorry Brian !!
Even in the foothills, my concerns are few. Water freezing in the lines are my main issue. Recently, I have insulated all of the visibly exposed pipes and water lines under the coach, as well as the fresh water tank itself in order to actively use it during the ski season.
Other than draining ALL of the water lines, including the hot water tank, I'll just cover the Clipper up in the meantime. I think it sat for 30 plus years outside without a cover before I got it, so I think it's already withstood the test of time. The cover just makes it easier to clean next time.
I will certainly post how the warmth does or does not remain inside in the snow and cold, and what we do to improve our comfort during the ski season in our Clipper. Insulation test!
Has anyone else any experience in the snow or severe cold...below 30.!? We've dry camped in the low 30's before and seemed to stay cumfty. We'll see.
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

Sfine - here are some ideas that popped into my head that may or may not work for you:

Electric mattress pad (rather than blanket) to keep the cold from coming up at you from below.  If you can't do the electrical power, then a down mattress topper or down blanket/comforter underneath your bottom sheet.  Use a down blanket/comforter on top also and you will have a nice pocket of warmth while you sleep.

Portable electric heater with a remote so you can use it to warm up the clipper before you get out of bed.

Insulated curtain between the cab and the house.  Those cabs have no insulation in them and will suck the heat out.  A thick insulated curtain will keep the heat in the house area much more effectively.

You may want to make "insulation inserts" for the ceiling vents.  As heat rises, it will most likely escape through the vents - they are just single sheets of plastic after all.  Cut some insulation to fit the vents from the inside and pop them in.  If you cover the side of the insulation that shows with a fabric used in the RV, then you could attach the wall snaps to the ceiling and fabric and just snap the insulation in and out as needed.  You could similarly create a cover for the inside portion of the AC unit.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

JerryT

I hide mouse bait and ant traps for "just in case" visitors over the winter. I think I am mouse tight but them ants are something else! I did add a piece of hardware cloth to the fresh air intake of my heater system to keep the mice out. I felt they could get by the blend door at the body if it was/did not fully close. I also keep my fresh air foot area vents closed also for the same reason.
JerryT

Clipper Joe

Hi Jerry T,
That's Great Feedback, I Know I Forgot to Close Vent in Cab, Glad You Posted That.
Do You Put Any Moisture Stuff in House To Keep The House Dry?
It Is Pretty Warm Weather In Northern Calif.
Just Mostly Rain When It Does.. :-[
Sure Need Some. We Get Snow Only In Mountains.

I Know You Have Done Major Work On Your Clipper,
What Are You Planning Next?

I Want To Invest In A Solar System To Get Off Grid Next.

Can't wait To Get Clipper ' Wilson ' Back On The Road ;D

Take Care & Happy New Years 2014

Joe & Denise
ACOC# 3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher