News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Thinking of purchasing a clipper!

Started by Clipperlover10-04, July 31, 2013, 06:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipperlover10-04

Hello Clipper fans, I am thinking of purchasing a 21ft. 1979 dodge 440 side kitchen model, I've never owned a motorhome before so can anyone tell me what to look for when going over one of these amazing machines? Any input is greatly appreciated, Thank You clipper nation!!!
1979 Dodge 440, 821 SK-FCIT, 50,000 original miles
ACOC 3765

Toedtoes

The Clippers are great RVs.  Holds up very well against much newer models.  Here are a few items to check for.  I'm sure others will pitch in with additional items.

Cabin/House:

insist on running water into the fresh water tank if it's empty.  Then turn on the pump and run the water into the sinks.  Look for leaks under the RV, under the sinks, and in the hot water tank storage area.  If they won't let you run water through it, you take the risk that there are major leaks somewhere.  Some can be cheap (simply buying some new piping for under the sink), some can be expensive (replacing the hot water tank).

insist on plugging into AC power and check out the air conditioning (if it has it), the lights, the fridge (you should notice it starting to get cold within 30 minutes), etc.

when not plugged into AC power, check the lights, water pump (you should hear it pumping), etc. to make sure there isn't a short somewhere and/or a bad battery and/or inverter.

if there is propane in the tank, try lighting the stove burners, the hot water heater and the fridge (if it runs on propane).

look for signs of prior leaks along the walls, in corners, in cabinets, around vents, windows, A/C, etc.  Some leaks are easy and inexpensive to repair (such as re-sealing vents), but if they've gone unfixed for a long time, you could end up having to replace the ceiling, etc.

check the generator if it has one (I don't so I can't you specifics on that).

Vehicle Portion:

sniff around for gas smell.  If the hoses haven't been replaced, they may be disintegrating.  If you can, put a gallon or two in the tank and watch under the vehicle for leaking gas.  If there are two tanks, check both.

normal engine checks - just like you'd check on any vehicle.

tire age.  If the tires are more than 3 years, even if great tread, you're on limited time.  Most folks say replace every 5 years regardless of tread - and these tires are more expensive ($1000 for 6 - and they are special order).

If you can, I recommend getting an inspection on the vehicle before you buy.  If you can't, get one asap after you buy.  You might as well know what needs to be fixed/replaced right up front AND you can prioritize according to your finances.  Gas leaks are priority.  ;D

I bought mine from a used RV dealer (and they are worse than used car salesmen) and they wanted $900 to plug into electrical, turn on propane, run water through it, etc.  I got them to plug it in as part of my trade in deal (I told them if I couldn't confirm the fridge worked beforehand, I was taking the one out of my trade in trailer - they decided it was worth it to let me confirm).  Luckily, there was propane in the tank, so I could test the stove, etc.  And there was still water in the fresh water tank, so I could turn on the faucets and the water pump and verify they worked (and that there were no leaks in the water tanks - hot or fresh).

I took it in to my mechanic a couple days later and had an inspection done on the vehicle portion.  He identified several items and prioritized them for me.  I also bought new tires.  With the tires, I've put $2,000 into the RV, but it's all been time-related maintenance.  I have another $500 to $1000 to do for it to be in top shape.

It seems overwhelming, but going in with the idea that you're buying a 34 year old vehicle and you're most likely going to have to catch up on maintenance stuff and budget for that, you should be fine.  Fridges and hot water heater/tanks tend to be expensive - especially if you can't do it yourself.  Lighting can often be DIY.

There is also a TON of information on this forum.  If you buy the Clipper, join the club and you can get parts as well as a lot of technical information on repairs, replacements, upgrades, etc.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

caninecaravan

Most of what has been said is correct. That is probably the most thorough description of what to look for. I took mine to an independent RV place and had them check everything over. Was worth the money I spent as they also told me how everything worked as well. I received the manuals with mine when I bought it, so that also made it a little easier. Where are you located and have you seen a Clipper that you are interested in buying or you are in the looking for one stage. If you are looking there is one for sale through the National Clipper group and I would be happy to give you that information. Prices vary on the models depending on age and working condition. Let me know if you are interested and I would be happy to discuss it with you. Caninecaravan Dodge 440 1978SK.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Clipper Joe

Hello Clipperlover10-04,

Toedtoes, stated it very well,

We Own a 1977 Dodge 440 Rear Kitchen, I Bought this Clipper off 2 Other Owners, Orig. Owner took Care of it, They made Many Long distance trips, He had a lot of work done do to age & Mileage from his Travels, the second owner, got it due to Death of Orig. Owner. Got it Cheap...
He did nothing but run it to no end, minimal servicing.
I bought it in 2002, it Sat Knowing it needed some repairs, due to working long hours, I just took my time in Restoring it.

Getting back to Question in hand.
1.) Price you Pay For this 1979 Clipper
Range: Perfect Shape $ 4,500-$ 6,500
That means Everything works, & lower Mileage Mech Sound, good Tires,Brakes,Body& Good Paint & Fiberglass, Roof Vents All Good & Sealed, Must Pass Smog if Req. No Leaks Is Very, Very Important A any Older RV. As Toedtoes Stated..

2.)Medium Range Small Leaks Repairable with Sealant, minimal Tune up Etc. Must Pass Smog if Req.
Range: $2,000-$4,000

3.)Lower Range: All Due to Mileage & Condition, This one is a lot of work :(
If you are A Hands on Kind of Mech Person & Have the Time to invest & Money Again a lot of Work.
The End Result is Very Rewarding When You Complete the Work.
These Clippers Were Built to last Many Years if Only they are Maintained..
Range: $1,000-$2,000

Now these Prices are only what has been Around Lately due to Econ. & Fuel Prices Etc.

You will not Go Wrong by Buying a Clipper over Any Other RV in That Year Class. 1973-1980

Hope This Helps & Good Luck,
Joe & Denise

Ps, When you Fine a Clipper Be Sure to Post a few Photos This Forum Will Give You a lot of insight..

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher