News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Roof leak

Started by prophetdaniel2, May 22, 2013, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophetdaniel2

Ahoy!

My clipper has sprung a leak!

Appears to be the vent over the entry/ stove area. Has saturated the floor too

This is gonna suck.

I need to seal the entire roof. Tryin to find a rubberized sealant compatible with gel coat that comes in bulk, I'm guessing something from a marine/ boat retailer.

My poor clipper. 

prophetdaniel2

On the positive side, a quick battery charge and she fired right up! No signs of engine leaks so far.
Alway worried after six months of below zero weather.

It may be time to perform major surgery.  Might have to copy jerryt's nose cone mod and will likely ditch the roof mounted AC.

Might also take the opportunity to remove the generac and go solar!

kenmel

Look on ebay for a product called Raptor Liner it is a flexible do it yourself bedliner for around 120.00. It is spray on includes the sprayer and three bottles of the liner and there is enough to do the entire roof at least 2 coats and you can get extra bottles for around 20.00. They will dye it free of charge last time I bought it. I used it in a 98 Jeep TJ rockcrawler with no top and it held up better than rhinolining and it is waterproof and seals leaks. As soon as I can get a little money saved up this is my next thing to do, I am buying enough to so the front floor boards, fenderwheels, and if I can get it dyed the right brown color I will do the doghouse because it cuts down on heat, this is one of the best products I have used for this kind of stuff and recommend it to everyone. I will be going over the floorboards afterwords with poor mans Dynomat from home depot then put the brand new front carpets I found hid in a cabinent over that. I have done it in hot rods I have had and it makes a drastic difference. ;D

prophetdaniel2

Did some reading up on the raptor liner and it looks promising! For more than just the clipper too.. I may have to give it a try. Possibly run a test on some gel coated fiber glass to check the adhesion. If it doesn't look good I can find another use for the rest of it I'm sure!
Thanks for the idea!

kenmel

I have used it on gel coated Fiberglass and it worked perfectly, you just need to rough up the surface a little with some fine grit sandpaper so it gives it something to bond too and put vaseline on the things you don't want it on lol. I recommended it to everyone I know and so far everyone that has used has loved it. This is what I am using to seal my top also ;D I can tell you from experience that it takes forever to get off your finger lol. There are some you-tube video's showing it. I will see if I can find them I will link them here for you:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gc7ko4Uj1c

bulldog 1995

there's a product called Life Caulk. it's made by 3M to seal windows and deck fittings on fiberglass boats. it can be picked up at most marine shops and it's not pricey. I used it to seal up my Clipper, I did all windows and roof vents. sealed her up pretty well no leaks anymore.

unlike most options out there, it remains perminatly flexible, lasts 10-15yrs in a saltwater environment, is designed to work with fiberglass gel-coating (some others will discolor it as gel-coating is semi-porus), is easily removed when needed yet provides a strong bond and is paintable if desired. it is available in white, black and "teak"

I used to work on large fiberglass yachts ($2-300,000 and up) and that is all we used. I've seen the results of the others and had to clean-up after them. not pretty...
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

Clipper Joe

Hi Bulldog,

You Stated you Have Used Life Caulk, I Have Always Used Self Leveling White Dicor. Roof Sealant. Is The 3M Product Easy to Work With?

I Used A 3-M Window Sealant Around Black Rubber Beading On Front Top Window, I Put Tape Around & Cut Small Tip, It Was Still A Little Messy...

Is It Easy To Clean Off In A Year Or So If You Want To Re- Apply??

Thanks For Info, Going To My Marine Guy & See If He Has Some. Sounds Like It Is Better To Use Each 10 Years, Than Every Other Year..

Thanks Again,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

bulldog 1995

yes very easy. comes in a smaller tube that you can work with as well as in full size tubes that fit a caulk gun. it is water based so its easy to clean up as long as you get it before it cures up with a wet rag, afterwords it can be a bear.

as I stated this stuff is ment to be left alone for meny years in a very corrosive environment. unless you plan on sailing your clipper on the ocean or something (lol) you shouldn't need to replace it for a very long time, but as far as removing the window or whatever after a year if it has a metal frame it's not to bad but this stuff holds very well so I wouldn't advise using it where a window is just held with a gasket
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

Clipper Joe

Hi Bulldog,

Thanks for info, I will try that product, my roof is in good shape for now.
Next year I will Try the 3-M Caulk

Thanks Again

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher