News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

California Smog Law

Started by USNRetired, November 21, 2011, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I just ran into the modified California Smog Law.  Our illustrious politicians modified the restriction on vehicles that require smogging.  It was anything over 30 years old was exempt, now they changed it to anything 1977 and newer gets smogged, only those vehicles 1976 and older are exempt.  After emailing the DMV and receiving a response assuring me that I had to smog my 1977 American Clipper, like a good citizen, I headed down to the smog shop.

First attempt:  Failed Hydrocarbons terribly - gross polluter they called my Clipper!  Also, new test failed - evap recovery system had gross air leaks, it was pegged a "gross leaker!"

Second attempt: After $185.00, carb adjusted, new ignition wires, vacume leaks repaired and a new section of rubber hose in the evap recovery line.  Passed the Smog with flying colors, but still failed the evap recovery test.  Still a Gross Leaker!!  (Never been called a gross leaker before.)  ;-)

Okay here is what I had to do.  Took my Clipper back to the shop and found that I had a fuel leak coming from fittings on top of the tank.  Not good!  So it's leaking air and fuel... hey all I need is spark and we have a roman candle!!  Mechanic sent me to another shop that can pull the tank, they have a lift heavy enough for RV's.  

Gary's RV in Oceanside replaced all my fuel and evap recovery lines, replaced the float in the tank (it was badly corroded) and only charged me $485.00  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!! 

Tomorrow I go back to the smog guy and it better pass this time or I'm moving the a state that doesn't require smog tests on vehicles that are almost 40 years old!

Oh, the point is if anyone tells you that your 1977 - 1980 Clipper doesn't need to be smogged!  They are misinformed!  They do, at least in California they do!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

LARRY RAY

What the heck is a smog test. Never heard of such here in Texas. Windy enough I guess and it blows everything someplace else. Either that or other states create a vacuum. I could have put that another way, I was just being nice  haha
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

USNRetired

Before they cracked down on emissions, not just motor vehicle, there was no such thing as a clear day in LA.  The sky was murked up by this yellowish-gray cloud.  Miles east, up against the mountain ranges in San Bernardino, it was hard to breath.

Cleaning up the air was a very good thing and needed to be done, however, the politicians then found out that this was also another way to "tax" the masses without calling it a tax.  An excellent source of revenue so they could hire more government employees, give themselves pay raises and grant things to people and places that either didn't deserve them or didn't really need them, but were willing to accept the things given.  

Never give your state government too much power... they will bankrupt the state!

I am copying all this over to Hank's Stream "Hank V.S. DMV"  :-)
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

Please not price correction on Gary's RV....  it was $485.00 not $85.00....  I used to be able to type accurately!!
ACOC #3714

Horst

That just SUCKS Jim! I hate the smog bozos......but that is the main reason I bought a 75.......no smogging!
Hope you get it sorted out.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

I sure did, cost me about $700.00, but in two years, I'll know what to do in order for that to not happen again.  I will have to get the engine detuned in order to pass the smog part and will have proper documentation regarding the cannisters for the vapor recovery system. 

But you never know, maybe someone will exempt 77's by then! 

Jim
ACOC #3714

Mac

FOOK the SMOG MAN, Barbara Boxer & Nancy Peloci too!

USNRetired

Hey MAC!!  I think every Californian is in total agreement with you!
ACOC #3714

Mac

John Eversoll

When the last california person leaves.....

Please shut the light off!!!!!!!!!!!!

John ;D

USNRetired

Mac, I feel your pain!

John, liberals and leeches will still be here. 
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Ya know what is funy, when the real people leave that state the will say that they are too liberal....

That is after they open the gates....................

Up here you can PACK.......

But as of yet, I have Not found anyone I don't like!!!

Everyone here is very friendly...

I should have moved here 20 yrs ago.

Take care shippy