News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

A/C Unit

Started by Mac, September 13, 2011, 11:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

So I'm out camping & last Thursday was the hottest day of the year plus I was camped out in the desert.

While sitting there doing some work on the internet I hear the A/C make a different sound like something (the fan) got stuck. Then I smell something burning. Trying to maintain hydration I consumed about 6 beers. I went into the emergency mode with a buzz going on, grabbed the (tore off) the fire extinguisher and damaged it in my panic mode(it was made in china). Turned off the power at the connect, disconnected the water hose as I visulized a burning motorhome. Ran back in side & removed my firearms (for protection against the left wing fanatics & illegal alliens), money & important stuff. Ran up the ladder with the broken fire extinguisher but no flames or smoke.

I looked up inside but no flames, no smoke, turned the fan on and it stunk, then turned on A/C again & it worked but not as cold or strong.

An hour later a catastrophy hit San Diego, that's right, it was called a major event! A BLACK OUT! People were stuck in traffic due to traffic light not working, cell phones didn't work, nobody could watch Ophra on TV, gas stations had to close, 7-11's closed and there were no beer, kids could not play computer games and FEMA was standing by to rescue us all & put us in moldy trailers. Every princess in San Diego suffered greatly! It was a historic event.

By then I had my valuables on stand-bye in case a fire broke out while I ran my fan to keep me & dog somewhat cool, I think my fan just jammed up & overheated & something burned but it was all good.

Suddenly things went quiet as I could no longer hear the multiple RV A/C units, then I heard campers yelling "hey is your power out?" Golf carts suddenly took off in a race to the campgrounds store to buy out the ice & beer. It was a pandemic situation !

I cranked up the old American Clipper generator and kept my vast beer supply cool as sat oustide in my chair. I got a lot of looks in disgust by all the "A" Class campers that didn't like my 1978 kindto exist (probaaly because that generator is extremely loud) but in a case of possible beer contamination you must do what you must do to keep it cool.

One thing that boggles me is on very hot days the A/C unit seems to mess up my fridge & make it warm unlike when I don't run the A/C. Some old glue horse that has camped for at least 50 years told me that the fridges don't draw that much power.

Lessons learned from extreme heat camping is to come with a large cooler of ice only to keep the beers cold and the meats.

The ironic thing is that night it got cold and was cooler the entire time until Monday.

Now I just have to have to call Clark termite control & the A/c guy, what a money pit!

John Eversoll

Hi Mac, sounds as if you and Jim should get together....Hahahahaha

It does sound as if you had a real nice time..

Hope next year we can hook up....John :)