News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

My clipper saga. part three

Started by retrorob, August 16, 2011, 11:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrorob

OK, I like to fire up the clipper every couple of weeks and warm it just to keep the lube moving around. A couple of months ago she just cranked and no fire. Strange as it usually takes right off. I pull the doghouse off and find no fuel to the carb. I've got thirty gallons in the tank. Fuel pump bad? Weird. Anyway I crawl under and find a in-line fuel filter hose that is so old and desiccated they have split so the fuel pump is just pulling air. I also find a in-line electric fuel pump. Ah...so that's what the toggle switch is for under the steering column! I replace the old filter and that gets me thinking, what condition is the rubber in on the brake system? Out of all the systems on this ten thousand pound beast, I want the peace of mind of a fresh brake job. So I order up from rockauto.com everything but new rotors and drums, also new strut rod bushing I should have bought back when I did the steering. The front brakes where straight forward and easy. New pads,calipers and rubber lines took less the three hours for both sides. Now on to the rear. First issue, I don't know how many of you out there have ever used the factory supplied lug wrench but these things can hurt you. The first lug nut, I'm pushing on the 4 foot bar with my weight into it. Now I went to public school so my math skills aren't the greatest but my calculations: 200 pounds at the end of four feet is eight houndred foot pounds! This thing wont move, but then lets go, stops, lets go, stops in a rapid stuttering motion that travels up my arms, shoulders and loosening three fillings. To hell with that! I drag out a air compressor and put technology on the problem. After I get the wheel up in the air and my jack stand I rattle away for fifteen minutes and finally get all the lugs off. Once I get the drum off I find my suspicions where right, the wheel cylinders are corroded, rubber brittle and, here's the kicker, the wrong size! The last ones installed are off a much smaller van. Holy crap! I also find the outer wheel bearing has rusted on the bottom. If I had taken it out on a long trip I doubt the bearing would have made it. Well that's where the story ends. I'm off to NAPA after work today to get new wheel bearings. Once the brakes are done I'm going to pull the rear diff. cover and change the gear lube. After that, new trans fluid/ filter and a shift kit while I'm in there. Who knows what mechanical adventures I'll find along the way......................................

Hank Jourdin

Retrorob,  Thats quite a saga, but I'am afraid you have only just begun! That is to say the saga will continue my friend. It never ends, there is always something. I have aready walked in your shoes and my feet are sore!! Just keep your wallet full and think good throughs while your shelling it out, because after awhile it won't be just your feet hurting! Sound like your haveing fun and I guess that counts for something! Hank Out!

USNRetired

Man, you need to write a book!  Keep a log of everything and sit down and write that book...   That is, after you've finished fixing and replacing everything that needs fixin' and replacin'......  Then you can take off and go fishing!

:D

In beautiful Sunny Oceanside, California!  Just spent 5 wonderful days at the Oceanside Harbor in my Clipper!  There is a payoff there!  Suntan lotion, Beautiful Sunny Day, Fishing pole in front of me, baited hook in the water and an Ice Cold Beer at my side....  Does it get any better than this?
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)