News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Long Trips In American Clippers

Started by USNRetired, August 07, 2011, 02:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I need some input from those of you who've recently taken long trips in your American Clipper.  I am trying to convince my wife that it is safe to take the 1977 American Clipper further than 50 miles from the house.  I think the furthest we've driven it is about 50 miles and I want to drive up to the Fall Ralley (500 miles each way) and eventually want to take it to Arkansas and back.  Of course I know it's going to be a slower drive than in my 2010 Automobile, but I wouldn't want to speed down the highway in an RV anyhow.  To me 75% of the fun taking a long trip in an RV is the TRIP!  Stopping to see things, detouring to see that "Largest Ball of String in the World."  Things like that!  When I ride my motorcycle up the Pacific Coast Highway up to Tillamook Oregon and over to Portland, it takes me a week!  I go to see things, enjoy and relax.

Anyone out there taken any long trips lately?

Jim in Oceanside, California!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

mccammonds

For the last three winters we have left Orland, Ca. and drove our AC (1975  360 821f) basically  to and over  the Mississippi River then turned and headed south west to spend the winter in the desert. 

The first winter we towed our  towed our Suzuki Samurai on all four.  The next  two winters we towed our Toyota Matrix on a tow dolly. 

We pulled all the high passes in Colorado, the deserts in Arizona and New Mexico.

If your rig is in good shape you will have now problem taking it any where.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

caninecaravan

We did 3200 miles from California to Yellowstone, Devils Pilepost, Mt. Rushmore, Custers battlefield and then home. We were gone for 2 weeks with 3 dogs. Small problems which were fixed along the way for little money. That was part of my bucket list. Plan on doing another long one shortly. No problem. If the rig is running, then go.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

USNRetired

Thank you!  That is exactly what I need.  I will get my wife to read this.  I really need to do one last thing before a trip.  That is find new front seats.  Something more comfortable than the stock seats in my '77. She constantly complains that her seat is uncomfortable.  I found a couple seats out of an old Ford Van, I believe it was a '66, but they are really comfortable.  Couple negatives, though.....  (always are, right?) ...  Seats need reupholstering badly, current upholstry has been repaired with lots of green duct tape, I mean L O T S of ugly glow in the dark green duct tape.  Also, I need to manufacture an adapter plate so I can mount them on existing base.  The bases that came with them don't even come close to matching the existing mounting holes and I don't feel like drilling and crawling under the Clipper to install nuts or bolts or something to hold them down to the floor and my current bases are too narrow for the bolts on the bottom of the Ford seats.  Wife is lobbying me for new seats cause even if I use quality seat covers they will set me back $150 to $500.  So now I get to find seats.    I am sorely tempted to take the Ford seats to a professional, have them reupholstered, then to another professional and have them mounted.  May cost me, but it sure will be worth it if she is comfortable and they look purty.

Jim
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

Anyone know who up in Auburn is selling their 1976 American Clipper on ebay?   ???
ACOC #3714

Mac

I go camping every 2 weeks like clock work, just me & dog & levae my wife & other 2 dogs at home. It's getting too small already but I'm not getting into debt in these days. Fook Obama!

The summer I figured is all spent outside in the tent or under the awning. Them winter storms of which I abused, I'm ready for you! Staying in the clipper (21 ft) with 3 dogs & my wife in the cold ain't all that bad. Just glad to get out but wish people wouldn't look at me like I'm a homeless guy! It's all I can afford in these last days!

USNRetired

Hey Mac!  We need to get together!  You should see what I've done to my American Clipper...  I have people asking me if it's a new RV, they've never seen anything like it.  Didn't take a lot of money either. 

Ready to go up to San Onofre again??
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, Well, you can travel 627 miles this way and camp at   "Walts Rv " on hiway 97..

Hot showers and pull thru.   Malitas resturant is just down the road about 1/4 mile REAL GOOD FOOOD

and just 14 minuets away from my house

John :)