News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

October's Fall Ralley In Gold Strike Village - Drive From San Diego County

Started by USNRetired, July 20, 2011, 08:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

Marina and I are planning on driving our 1977 American Clipper from Oceanside up to San Andreas in October to attend the Fall Rally October 14, 15, 16.   We will most likely leave Oceanside October 11th or 12th and take our time going up since it is about 510 or so miles from our location.  Instead of taking I-5 up from Grapevine, we intend to take Hwy 99 up and spend one night near Bakersfield and another night at the Naval Air Station Lemoore in Lemoore, CA.  San Andreas is at least an 8 hour drive from Oceanside and I am not sure I want to drive more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, the furthest we've been in our Clipper is up to Seal Beach, about an hour or so drive north of us.  As we get braver andmore confident in this 1977 American Clipper's abilities, we will drive further in one day.

We would like to invite any and all members who live in San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial, Orange and/or LA Counties to caravan up with us.  This would also give us an opportunity to get to know one another and maybe even form up a local American Clipper Owners Club like they've done up north.

I know you guys are out there, except for those who've abandoned us and moved to Oregon in hopes of convincing the Webfoots up there that they are not "Californians."  ;-)  Ha!  Feel free to email me at James.L.Johnson@cox.net or through my email posted on this website.  It's July and we should have time to form up something.  I believe that as a Retired Navy Chief, I can reserve my site and two or three additional sites, some of you are retired military as well.  Let's get together on this!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

Mac

Dang Jim, I'd like roll with you's but my clipper is two hands on the wheel to keep her straight. Every couple a weeks I go up to the mountains to a census on the squirrel population and inventory the beer I have onboard. It's only a 36-42 mile drive pending where I go but I swear I can hold a penny tween my but cheeks I'm so tense trying to keep her on course. I swear to you it is like the helm of a single rudder ship. But gettin away from the people, gettin ticks, dodging snakes and fixing a new problem on my camper in the woods is worth it. Besides, leasing it to my little tiny corporation for $200 as a mobile office for paper work & stuff a day gets me paid. You'll find me at the lake with a beer, in a chair with a cell phone, planner & a pen & 2 lines in the water.

I draw the line at Temecula & never pass it, if I have to go north I'm skirting California & going thru Nevada

mccammonds

If y'all don't need hook ups I could tell you about a good days end spot (dry camp) in the south end of Fresno.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

USNRetired

Mac, I have to admit that I am a little nervous about driving through LA.  Even on the motorcycle, felt best way to travel through LA was get on a Cargo Plane in San Diego, Fly to Bakersfield over LA, offload in Bakersfield and drive on north!  You have any idea why you're getting such a bad shimmey in the front end?  Had it to a reliable mechanic or front end guy?  Sure would like to go camping with you again, but not where there are any Tics!!  Read about your wonderful Tic Experience! ha ha ha ha ha...  How come you get all the luck!?!?

Fresno...  that's a possibility instead of NAS Lemoore.  Sure would cut a few miles off the trip.  Still plan on spending the night around Bakersfield or maybe even Grapevine on the North end of the pass just before Hwy 99 splits off of I-5.
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

OK JIM", web foot....ha ha hha

I would love to hook up with you guys but not this year...

Definately next year....

And the best time to roll thru LA is after 8 PM!!!!AND NOT on a friday....by any means

I should be finished with the rig in March..  "I hope"

Just have to rebuild the interior...Everything else is done... mechanicly" 

When you and your wife get to be road seasoned, give this area a try...

I have enopugh property to park the rigs on

and I am going to be installing some electrical hook ups for my buddys rig  I think

the hook up is 30 amp for each hook up..

I have a well so the water is No problem.. But the waste tank is another problem that I have to look into... I am not sure where the septic tank is aand will have to go to town to the planning comition and see where trhe tank was placed...

That way I could have a couple of clean outs installed....  take care Jim

USNRetired

Hey John!  I sure will give you a yell if we end up going  your direction.  I'm going up to Happy Camp (In Happy Valley) just between Yreka and Eureka in Northern California next Friday.  Riding up with my Brother in his RV.  I guess you can call it an RV.  It's one of those $350K rigs that have 4 slideouts, satellite TV, huge shower and on and on and on.... sigh....   nicer than my house!  :-)  Will be up there for a week, then heading home, won't have the liberty to meander up into Oregon, but will step outside and yell - give it a listen, okay?
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Ok Jim, Have a Great trip.... and don't get used to that Fancy stuff....It will just ruin you

make ya soft ..he he heheehhe

John Out....