News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Front Driver & Passenger Seat Replacement

Started by USNRetired, June 23, 2011, 07:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I want to replace the stock seats in my 1977 AC.  Has anyone done this and what kind of seats do you recommend?  My goal, along with more comfort (especially for my wife) is that they swivel, adjust some back and forth and even recline.  I know that neither will recline when facing forward due to the wall between van cab and RV Cabin, but when swiveled sideways facing one another and maybe even with door open...... 

Any suggestions?  Also, I am guess the best place to find seats like this would be the wrecking yard, right?

Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

pop427

These are really just Dodge vans, I would look for an old custom van or van conversion as they called it back then. I'm sure there are some in the wrecking yards or back yards that the seats can be bought.

Good luck,   Doug

USNRetired

Thanks Doug.  I sorta had the same thought, but figured I'd post here because I'm lazy and hate reinventing the wheel all the time.  hahahah!!   ::)  I'm going to check "Ecology Auto Wrecking" here in Oceanside and see what they have.  Hate doing business with them, they charge "Admission" just to enter their facility...  they think they are a B Ticket Ride.  But they do have a lot of "stuff."
ACOC #3714

Horst

Mine are out of a mid-90s Ford Custom Van. They swivel arm rests, are very comfy, etc.
But - because of the arm rests,  the built in arm rest on the Clipper door had to be removed.
They cannot swivel much at all. When I get to my camp site - I  remove and flip the passenger's seat so that it faces back toward the cabin - I can do that in about three minutes now, and it adds much to the living space set-up.

You will have difficulty getting a big comfortable custom van chair to swivel and any direction without making some modifications behind the drivers and passenger's seats - this is also impacted by your Clipper floorplan.
You may have to make some minor modifications to the seat mounting system.
But, it is well worth the trouble. Stock Clipper seat are not the greatest, especially for long hauls.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

Hummmmm Ford, huh?  Thanks Horst, that sort of expands my choices....  Bet Chevy would fit too, then.  For the passenger seat, my wife thinks anything would be a great improvement over the stock seat.   ::)
ACOC #3714

prophetdaniel2

I HATE the seats in my clipper. I dont know if they are stock....what do the stock ones look like? mine are supposed to be able to swivel and recline and such, but cant due to space limitations....I think a folding chair would be an improvement.

USNRetired

I think mine has the stock seats and they are not designed to recline or swivel... Actually, I like the way mine sits, but my wife hates her's... but then I like wood dining room chairs with no cushion and she likes chairs with cushions.  (sigh)  I guess all those years of getting my rear end chewed out in the Navy are paying off hahahahahahaha!!
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

John Here, Long time down.....

Reply on the seats...   I did the swap with seats out of a Newer Van Plymouth..

They are comfortable and "I got them from   "Ecology"   I like that place!!!!

It is a guys admiion to a guys  store...  and I can sit in the seats to get a real feel.

If I waited for the local holliday  everything is half price.   

Enjoy-------John

USNRetired

John,  Did you have to make many or any modifications to get them bolted down?  Did you use the existing base or the ones out of the plymouth van?

I'm the guy with 50 million questions!

ha!

How is it up there in the land of green?

Jim
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

HI Jim, this is the guy in "GODS Country"

I used the seat frames that were on the seats..

I did have to drill four new holes...  The seats have gotton bigger since the 70's

But they are so much more comfortable...

If everything goes right, I might be able to start work on her next month.....

take care , John