News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Starter Problem

Started by Mac, May 29, 2011, 08:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

When starter won't turn over every now & then but will crank engine when jumped with a screwdriver, that probably means the brushes need to be replaced I think.

Is it worth rebuilding one of these for a 78 440 or just buying a new one? I'm not cheap, I was heading out Wednesday & my body is telling me just replace it. Then I had a thought, what if they don't make these big starters anymore.

Anyone bought one recently?

I've been doing some searches on the board regarding the starter & got off into some of the repair parts that I should carry. Man. I need an American Clipper class, no a semester of repair school! The electrical things that can go wrong that I've been reading about.
When I had that tire blow and do all that damage I realized I'm stuck if I'm on the side of the road. I paid dearly for that one. Out at the lakes many weeks back & the starter wouldn't kick over I paniced and called for mobile mechanics who would not answer or come out to the boonies.

Every trip I make I swear I could hold a penny between my butt cheeks and keep it there all day I'm so worried tense about something breaking down.

I wonder how much it would cost to tow my camper to a shop? I've never seen or noticed an RV being towed before.

LARRY RAY

I would replace it. Shouldn't take much time at all. It's a double reduction starter and napa has tem for arounf 80 bucks. wouldn't try to rebuild it for that price. I just checked napaonline and they should have one depending on where your located.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Mac

Thanks Larry!

Cost me $47, I can't believe how cheap.

Bought a realy & a ballast

5 hours later I had it in and found out it wasn't the problem. It was a good move seeing the old one was 13 years old anyway.

It was the relay! LOL. Learning the hard way is my style