News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

SOLD THE OLD GAL

Started by mccammonds, May 03, 2011, 04:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccammonds

Yep! 
We sold our Clipper today.  We just hope the new folks get along with her as well as we did.

I plan to stay up on the forum.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

Horst

yep - a sad day.
I'm contemplating it as well, as I have decisions to make.
Wife and I realize we can't (or are unwilling to, to be more honest) full-time or "long-time" in a Clipper.
So we need to get a bigger MH (Class C or A, doesn't matter) - or do the truck/trailer deal.

The other issue is my Clipper needs some $$ thrown at it. Tires ($1,100) gas tank ($900) and some electrical repairs ($300-400).
Probably should sell it as it is and let someone else deal with it. Motor and tranny are solid, as is carb/manifold/exhaust/radiator, rear end and all house items. It's clean and ready to camp or use as a man-cave or both - BUT - it's not ready to travel (needs tires and gas tank).

So I'm in a bit of a decision dilemma................my kids will be VERY upset if I sell it. They were 2 and 3yrs old when I bought it - and they took over 100 trips in it - probably slept in it over 500 nights....lots of memories.
Now they're 15 and 16 and still love the Clipper, (my son much more than my daughter.)

And there's another thing that haunts me to this day. The guy I bought the Clipper from (in Coralitos) had kids, and I remember the look on his teenage son's face the day my wife and I drove off in "his" Clipper - the poor kid was near tears.......................and now I may do the same thing to my son??!!

I'm torn........I need the couple grand I'll be able to get for the Clipper to help pay for my next rig..............but, maybe I just keep the Clipper, save harder, and go ahead buy a second bigger unit and have two motorhomes?? that's dumb!!
I need help..................
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

mccammonds

Your scenario sounds just like ours.  Tires, brakes, carb, and such.  But, after spending six months it was just too small.  And truthfully we want to start making plans to go back on the the road full time.  We got a 34 foot Bounder and can't believe how much STUFF we will be able to carry.  Gas grill, tools, tables, lawn chairs Two TVs and much more.  Years ago we had an old 34 foot Bounder and have forgot how much we had on board.

I should have the solar panels on the rig soon.  Checked the 4 Trojan 105s and they check okay.  May have to add some to make sure we have enough watts to use everything we are planning on putting on board.

We plan on pulling out in late August to spend until next April on the road.  So hope everything goes okay.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

2Travelers

We know the feelings expressed, but bought our clipper to make it a 2nd RV for our travels. 

We full-time in a 36ft class A.  But there are just places we wanted to go that we could not take it.  Like the Alaska Ferry, the Baja, Mtn. roads in Oregon and Arizona and Colorado. 

We paid $3000.00 and have put in the new cushions and mattress, new tires and 16 inch wheels new to us sway bar-even I am beginning to like junk yards.  We do find the traveling in 2 rigs transit sometimes an issue but we are parked for the summer in a park here in Oregon and just take the Clipper out when we want to go for a weekend to see the kids, go fishing, or exploring.  It is so easy to park and travel in.

So think twice about selling it, It might be your son's first RV. 

PS.   We have spent several months at a time in the Clipper and find that compared to alot of truck campers we have as much or more room.  A better kitchen and a "dry bath".

Cynthia Ponder

Horst

That's a few good points there Cynthia.
Still unsure of what to do - so I won't do anything for the near term.
BTW - by truck/trailer - I didn't mean truck with a camper on it - I meant truck pulling a nice 24-28ft trailer.

Although - I have to admit - there a a few new HUGE truck campers out there with dual slides, and/or a back that pops out to a bed, dry bath, etc. - they are a far cry from the campers of old.

The other issue looming on the horizon is fuel costs - if $6.00/gal is really in our future (say 12-24 months) - well that changes everything yet again. I would seriously want something that delivers 15-17mpg.
So we'll likely do nothing until we're really ready to do it - which means I'll keep the Clipper for the time being I suppose - maybe even throw a few thousand dollars at it.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

bulldog 1995

I just bought a 77 21' party model with rear kitchen and bath bath
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles