News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Full Timing

Started by tommyv, April 17, 2011, 04:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyv

I am looking to buy an American Clipper. I really like these motorhomes a lot. I will retire in July and want to travel and live in the AC for an extended period. Has anyone tried living in the 21' AC? What was your experience. I would love to find a 24', but know how rare they are and impossible I'm sure.

I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Cheers,
Tom

mccammonds

We have full timed for many years but in bigger rigs.  For the last three years we have spent about six month during the winter months living in our clipper.  It is too small for two folks to spend that much time in.  Of course we do our time in the desert along the Mexican border. This way we do spend a lot of time out side.  We have solar and we do not go into parks.  We spend much of our time with the Escapee RV group at our Rendezvous at several places.  We stay in one place until our black water need dumped and then we go dump and move to another site.

I highly recommend everyone to join the Escapee RV club.  It is a great resource of info and support.

Feel free to get in touch with us if you have any further questions.  It is not an imposition on my part to talk about full timing.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

JerryT

Hi Tom
We have a 21' 78 rear kitchen and have taken some extended trips so I will speak from that prospective.
If you are Touring i.e. spending more time driving than camping then I think a smaller rig is a nice thing. I also have noticed that you will bring your House lifestyle on the road with you. For example, if you are an early riser and the Mrs is not, it's hard to blend in small quarters. Also with almost zero storage you need to be very organized and not take much with you. We have the couch/dinette setup, I am a stretch out on the couch kind of guy and my wife is a recliner person. I get comfy but my wife gets stuck with the dinette (but I drove all day) I do wish the Clipper had one more comfy seat for her. I have seen people modify the passenger seat for this in other coaches but the Clipper looks a bit tight on that side. I like being able to park about anywhere and have my own door to get in and out of. Another advantage of the class C Motorhome is that the front is all "Detroit" and you can get parts. In reflecting I would say that my clipper does everything well (I have made mods) except relaxing inside i.e. watching TV as a couple or sitting and visiting. I tell my friends that are getting into RVing that you need to PICK your inconvenience because you can't have it all on the road. If I spent more time in the back than the front then I would want a different unit. The Clipper is a well thought out rig, other larger rigs don't offer the livability that the Clipper has. Good luck with your retirement and hitting the road!

JerryT 

tommyv

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it, and also the comments from the McCammonds. I have located the AC I want to buy and am thrilled with the find. It is a '78 440 with rear kitchen, barrel chairs and an L-Shaped lounge seating and dining area (821 FC1T), low miles and immaculate inside and out. I like the layout. It'll just be the dog and I ( a real dog, not a wife)! I think there will be enough room. I plan on spending a lot of time outside and am considering buying a screen room to attach to the awning to expand my space. I do like the fact that it is a Dodge engine, uncomplicated and easy to service. I'm more interested in the convenience of a smaller rig than I am in having the extra room. I may be wrong, but time will tell.

I've looked at larger rigs, but always seem to come back to the AC. I was torn between a'84  22' Lazy Daze and the AC, but the AC has so much more style even if it is older. I liked the Lazy Daze, but it was too clunky looking. It did have a bit more room but I just didn't like the exterior design. Oh well, I always follow my first instinct, and the LD won out.

I'll keep everyone posted and hope to hear from more AC addicts!

Cheers,
Tom

2Travelers

Congratulations Tom,

Hope you love your Clipper as much as we love ours.  We spend 6 months or so at a time in ours and the rest in our bigger 36ft class A.  We keep talking about selling the big coach!! 

Cynthia