News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Yep I'm new

Started by bluepencil, April 11, 2011, 12:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluepencil

Well it as come to the time when my DW cannot haul the trailer so I'm looking for something else.
Found this web site and a Clipper offered on Craigslist.
Need info on prices. I saw listings on this board's classified but they are all over a year old.
Any way if someone can take the time to give me some insight here is the listing.

http://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/2318076422.html

Robert

pop427

With only 32K the drive train should be in great shape. New tires and batteries make it even better. If no water damage and the roof is sound it is worth $3,800. It says OBO so with the price of gas I would offer $3K cash and I think you will drive it away.     Doug

Horst

Looks pretty good - but I'll play devil's advocate:
1) The fridge might get pricey - $500 to 1000 - or you could get lucky and it might be something simple. On the other had, a good cooler works too, and you can get nice ones these days at Costco for under $100   ;)

2) From the pic - the rear seems to be "low" - as in a slight sag - again - this might be simply be the angle, etc - but - I'd check the rear leaf springs, air bags, etc. Also - be sure to have a look at the hitch to be sure it's attached properly - there's info on this site as to how the hitch should be attached. Towing with an improperly attached hitch will cause rear end sag and worse.

But, like Pop says - give a good look, if you like what you see offer $2,800, and if they refuse, say "3000 is all I got"....... They'll sell it!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

I went to that listing and it had already been deleted by the author.  Probably sold it.  I am in San Diego County, Southern California and have seen American Clippers advertised from $1700.00 to $4500.00.  The more expensive Clippers had some modern upgrades inside, but all of them were in Running Condition with all appliances working and I consider every one a good purchase.  The most important thing, to me, is that the engine, tranny and running gear be in good condition.  A bonus is if the tires are relatively new.  It seems that the Dometic Refrigerator is the internal appliance that may need replacing first and this is one of the more expensive replacements.  I found a guy here in Southern California who rebuilds the cooling units and the cost is less than half of a new unit, including removal and installation of the refrigerator.  Keep your eyes open and my opinion is that if it is running and driveable and under $2000.00 it's a bargain!  I love my American Clipper, it's the perfect size and people cannot believe it is over 30 years old!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

bulldog 1995

I just picked up a 21' 77 party model with a rear kitchen / bath set up with a fresh 440 in it
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

JerryT

Bulldog, Congrats on your new Clipper!!!

JerryT

bulldog 1995

thanks it needs ALOT of work! give me some time and I will have it better then new! I am planing to redo the plumbing with PEX tubing. rewire the coach 12v and 110v and then reskin the interior with sepela (a type of mahogany). I plan on full timeing it in the Clipper.
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

JerryT

My 78 has Pex in it from the Clipper factory, what does yours have?

JerryT