News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Hitch Kit for 1977 821f 1T?

Started by Peter and Ali, March 12, 2011, 07:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter and Ali

Hello,

We are new to this forum and we're looking at a 1977 Clipper that our friend has offered to sell us. We REALLY love it and would like to tow a trailer with it, however, there doesn't appear to be a hitch and as the frame stops so far forward, it would be a lot of work to fabricate one to suit. Anyone know of a kit available to suit this model? Also, are the rubbers for the rear window available?

Thank you,
Peter and Ali Fraser
Santa Rosa, CA

Horst

No kits that I am aware of....you'll need to get it fabricated so it looks something like this:

http://americanclipperownersclub.com/images/framesides.gif

This is not something you want to "fiddle" with as far as saving a few hundred bucks to have a "friend" do it (unless of course the friend is an ace welder/machine engineer!)

Improperly installed and loaded hitches have ruined quite a few Clippers.
Ask around in your area - look for shops that specialize in hitch fabrication/welding, etc.
Bring the above diagram to them and get an estimate.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Peter and Ali

Thank you for Horst, for the very detailed diagram and for your advice! We will do as you suggest after we become the proud owners of an American Clipper.  :)

Would you happen to know if the window rubbers are available? If so, do you know where we can purchase them?

Thanks again!
Peter and Ali Fraser

John Eversoll

Oh the window rubber------

I had my rear window takeen out by a "Golf ball"

had a company install a tinted window in it and they

replaced the rubber when finished.  So my guess is that any window installer should have the rubber..    John

"Hi jim", I see you lurking out there

USNRetired

;D
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)