News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

New to motorhomes, looking for guidance

Started by Tiffany, January 10, 2011, 01:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffany

I've been dreaming of getting a motorhome, so I'm always browsing the craigslist ads for something that appeals to me. My problem is that whenever I find something I like, I'm too nervous to inquire about it because I know nothing about motorhomes and don't want to get burned.

Can anyone offer advise on what questions I should be asking and what type of things I should be looking for when viewing/test driving?

This is the one I'm interested in at the moment. Based on the limited information given, I like this a lot.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvs/2151874468.html

Thanks in advance for any help offered. :)
Tiffany
Olympia, WA

JerryT

Hi Tiffany and welcome!
Your looking at a 1977 model 821FC  Here is a link to the 1977 Clipper sales brochure from our main page.

http://www.americanclipperownersclub.com/brochures/1977-1.htm

I bought a 1978 821F 5 years ago and here is what I looked for.

1  When you first step inside does it have any bad odors?
2   Is there any staining on the ceiling from leaks?
3  Does the Clipper look new but used inside or does it look like a party wagon?
4  How many miles does it have on it?
5  Can you wash and wax it and be happy with the outside appearance?
6  Does it drive good and go straight down the road?
7  Does it run and shift and stop good?
8  Does everything work? i.e A/C, frig, furnace, water heater, ect?
9  Any odd noises?
10 Do you feel the seller is honest and trustworthy?

The Clipper has a good name due to it's quality and people usually snap them up if they are in good condition.
I like to look at a decision like this in a "Worst Case" view i.e. If you bought it, and the coach did not turn out like you had hoped, and you re-sold it, can you suffer the loss of your time and maybe a few bucks? If so go ahead and buy it and scratch that itch! From what I can see by the pictures the Clipper looks to be in good shape. Motorhomes always need maintenance and repair so don't under budget in that department. There is no better way to travel the road than in a Motorhome in my opinion! Ask as many questions as you like, there are many of us here so you should get good viewpoints.

JerryT

P.S.
Good clean small motorhomes with a good floor plan are hard to find. People have been reporting that they have been paying from 2K to 4K for Clippers lately. With gas at $3+ you might get a better deal, always ask.    

John Eversoll

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

If I didn't have mine right now I would snach that thing right up!!!!!!
I have the 77 party modle just like that one...

But that one looks to be in better shape than mine..

Listen to Jerry!!!!

He knows what he is talking about!!!!!!

The Clipper is an out standing rig...  John :)

Tiffany

I called last night to get more information. It has 110,000 miles, and he says it works great. The only issue that hasn't been addressed is a gas gage that doesn't work. He said the roof was leaking around the vents in two places when he bought it, but he fixed the leaks and replaced the damaged paneling.

Its now at an RV sales lot on consignment. I'm gonna go have a look this weekend. :D

Thanks for the replies. I want this thing so bad. I hope no one buys it before I can get there to take a look.

JerryT

Good luck Tiffany! When I called about mine they had just put it away in storage for the winter and I had to wait till spring the next year to see it. I must have looked at the 3 pics of it on line about a million times waiting for spring. To make it worse I had never seen a Clipper in person before just on line pics of them. It was a long winter :'( but it all worked out for the best and I now have it ;D

JerryT

Horst

Jerry's list is quite complete.
Here's a few other considerations:
1) What would be great is to find out how many owners (is this person the original owner??)
2) Where has it spent most of its life? (wet versus dry environment)
3) Has been stored outside, or under cover
4) Any receipts for maintenance, new parts and major repairs (overhauls, new tranny, the tires, etc.)
5) Is the hitch installed properly?
6) Check under the Clipper carefully - look for tank leaks (grey and black water tanks, gas tank(s) - it's going to look old and rusty under there - still - if it looks really bad - get someone who knows to inspect the undercarriage, and look at the leaf springs, shocks, airbags, the front end, etc.

Finally, and probably most importantly, is how are you planning to use the Clipper? Weekend jaunts to the lake 10 miles away, 10 or 15 times a year is one thing. Planning a cross-country one year trip of the United States, towing a small car, is something else entirely.

Good luck. You will not be able to find any other 70s Class C motorhome that comes close to a Clipper (mabye a Lazy Daze here and there - but most of them had crap floor plans)
Horst
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

spokaneclipper

Hi Tiffany,
We live in Washington State too (Spokane) last March we picked up a 1977 American Clipper and are so thrilled with it! I agree with the last post if it isn't what you like you can resell it, but I bet you'll love it.  We have rebuilt the front end, replaced the house waterpump, and new house batteries. Happy Travels!

Tiffany

Holy cow... look at this one!!!!!
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/rvs/2169519652.html
Oh tax return... please come quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Horst

sweet - but you know it's not a 24 footer - not too many of those around
still  - looks really good - tell them you'll pay 4200, and give them a 400 deposit to hold it for you for 30 days - then get your money - buy it - have fun - start fixing and personalizing - drive slow and enjoy the ride and scenery

keep us posted
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.