News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

New Dometic Refrigerator RM2500

Started by USNRetired, January 02, 2011, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I found a guy who, with his wife, runs a small RV Fridge Cooling Unit Remanufacture and Recharge Service and they are up in Riverside County near Homeland.  They delivered and installed a replacement for my RM66E.  It's a RM2500 and is a 3 way unit with a completely remanufactured cooling unit.  I told him to disable the 12 volt feature, so it's basically going to be a Propane/120V AC unit.  It looks brand new and is one hell of a lot better than the old RM66E.  The cost?  $450 for the reefer and $100 to remove my old unit and install the new one.  It comes with a 90 day guarantee on the cooling unit.  The neat thing is that they come to you.  However, they only sell to "local" Southern California or Western Arizona customers.  I asked them about Orange County and they gave me a big yes.  If you are willing to drive to their location in Homeland - Riverside County just east of the 215 freeway, I am sure they will sell and install to anyone.  But to get their warranty you must be in their service area or negotiate about you coming to them.  To me, it is well worth it, but I live in Oceanside and it's not that far a drive for them and then they get to visit the Pacific Ocean.  :-)  I've had the "new" refrigerator in my Clipper for two days, just went to the harbor for the day and the thing gets cold!! Works great, no bad smells and I am more than happy!  $550 and it was installed!  Beats the $1000 to $1500 dollar prices I've been quoted.    

The guy's name is Matt Willis and his business is KONA COOLS, INC.  Phone:  951-704-3223  ... I got a good feeling from him and his wife when I met them, real down to earth straight forward people.

Oh, he removed and installed using the back door, didn't have to dismantle anything on the Clipper!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

Horst

Thanks Much!
That's a great tip - well worth a trip down there.
Let us know again in 6 months how it's doing.
My fridge is hanging in there - but the clock is ticking........
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

You bet I'll let everyone know about how it's doing....  and if it craps out before, I'll let  you know how it's handled.  ::)
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

USNRetired

Did some "dry" camping this last week at the Oceanside Harbor.  Took my generator along, which was a good thing.  I tried to fire off the refrigerator on propane and nothing happened, so immediately fired up the generator to keep everything cold and stuff in freezer frozen.  On Day 3, I called Matt and explained what I had trouble shot and asked him for help.  First thing he told me was to check the 12V pos and neg wires to back of refrigeration unit.  He described what to look for.  I found my ground wire connection was loose, so I tightened it up and BINGO, my refrigerator fired up on propane.  Matt passed that test with flying colors and I learned a little more about trouble shooting these things.
ACOC #3714