News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Dometic Refrigerator Replacement!

Started by USNRetired, December 31, 2010, 08:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I've found a possible solution to our refrigerator problem for the Clippers.  Mine had the original RM66E Dometic Refrigerator and I just had a newly rebuilt/refurbished RM2500 installed.  The work was done by Kona Cools, Inc.  Matt Willis out of Homeland, CA.. located in Riverside County, Southern California.  Kona Cools does not ship and will not accept cooling units shipped to them.  They have a service area of Southern California and will either come to us or we can come to them. 

They drove to my location in Oceanside twice in order to satisfactorily install an operating refrigerator in my American Clipper and so far, I am very happy with the results.  It cost me $450 for the refrigerator and $100 for installation and Matt spent at least 5 hours working to solve all problems and leave me with a properly operating and installed refrigerator.   

We started out with a RM3500 with automatic switching controls and ended up with a RM2500 with manual switching controls.  At my request, the 12V feature is disabled, otherwise this is a 3 way reefer.  AND IT WORKS!

I will give more information regarding Matt and his company as I am assured his product is good and it was worth the money spent.

Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

JerryT

Jim
Thanks for the info. I am using the RM66E that came in my coach and it still works great, but I know it won't last forever. How did the 2500 fit in? Much cutting? Is it bigger? Any Pics ?

JerryT

USNRetired

I had to remove the shelf above the RM66E to get another 1.5 inches of vertical clearance.  But was able to slide the shelf in on top of the RM2500, Screw it in place and set my microwave back down on it.  Matt, assured me that the weight was not an issue for the refrigerator box.  I need to trim the cabinet door so that it clears the top of the RM2500 and doesn't hit the holding tank/water pump switch panel, but that is absolutely no problem.

We went to Oceanside Harbor today, I ran the RM2500 on propane and it got nice and cold.  Oh, it has a thermostat!  I can change the settings!  But it was freezing in no time at all.

I'll see about getting some pictures for everyone. 

One thing.  It was so darn simple removing the RM66E!  Pull the box into the RV, remove the cooling unit from the back and everything goes right out the back door! 
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)