News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Fuel Pump

Started by Mac, December 20, 2010, 08:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

I got things ready last night, filled up all the tanks. Coming back on the freeway I had to step on the gas a bit to merge and I could tell it wasn't getting enough fuel for it. I had an issue going up a mountain grade where I had the same issue once. The fuel pump actually looks original and found nothing in the paper work handed down to me of a new fuel pump being installed. So I'm going to get it replaced but did some searching here about someone who used an electric pump. Understand the negetives of one, then again the postitives when you need the fuel on a heavy rig.

I have a 440, just wondering if I should go with a stock pump for it or has anyone found a better fuel pump.

I drive that thing like an old lady driving a yellow short bus so passing people isn't really my concern but going up them mountains and starting to lose gas.

Be easy on me, I'm a rookie.

Thanks!
Gary MacKay

pop427

Gary, Get someone to help you and have a fire extinguisher ready. First make sure it is the fuel pump that is the problem. Take dog house off and disconnect the fuel line from the carb. Take something like a large coffee can that the fuel line will reach into or put a hose on the end of the line to make it long enough to to safely pump gas into the can. Now crank the engine with the coil disconnected so the motor will not start and see how much fuel comes out of the hose. If very little fuel come out BUT you have good pressure then the problem is on the suction side of the pump. Most times with a B300 Dodge it is the inline metal filter along side the frame just about under the passenger seat. If you have low pressure and volume then the problem is the pump or restriction between the pump and carb.
I raced NASCAR for many years with a mechanical fuel and never had any problems getting enough fuel. I race Bonneville now where electrical pumps are legal and use one but good electrical pumps cost a lot more money.  Be safe and good luck.   Doug

John Eversoll

Very Good  Doug!!!!!

Remember  # 65 about 30 yrs ago????

I pitted for him.. Boy that was some fun times....

The fights in the pits were great-- just a bunch of good old boys going at it......John :)