News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Paint

Started by USNRetired, September 01, 2010, 11:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I have a guy down here in Oceanside who has the facilities for painting RVs.  He's a retired Federal Fire "Person" (well, okay, Fireman) who started painting vehicles as a sideline business and is willing to be flexible with his facilities.  I am having the front cab (Dodge) portion of the AC painted the original cream color.  I have been to several automotive painting outfits, including Earl Scheib, and they won't even talk to me.  They say that the Clipper won't fit into their paint booths and do not have the ability to make a portable paint booth with tarps, etc....  (may be EPA rules or something involved).  Anyhow, they wouldn't even give me a quote.  Max is going to do the job for $900.00, includes paint, material and labor.  This also includes painting all four wheels, which are badly rusted, and the rear view mirror brackets (again badly rusted).  The big plus is that he's only a block and a half away.  I will lose use of the Clipper Thursday morning and won't get it back until Monday afternoon, but that seems fair given he's going to mask everything off and do all the prep work.  I'll take before and after pictures to post here for anyone who's interested.

Jim in Beautiful Oceanside, California
Member #3714
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

Please do Jim,  I would love to see how sick mine will look next to yours

LOL..  But yes  please post them..  I just might use your guy!!!!

John

USNRetired

Here is one of the before pictures... I sure hope you can see this dinky little thing.... I had to reduce the size.
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

okay, don't click post before you attach the pictures, right?
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

I guess I have to wait to post the after pictures, it's telling me my download folder is full regardless of the size of my pictures.  I'll try and post later in the day. :-) Please remember, I only painted the front, Dodge Cab part.  I plan on using a fiberglass cleaner on the RV Body, some Fiberglass repair on cracks and nicks, then touch up where needed, then I'm going to paint over the Brown (someone did a green coverup on part of the brown) and Orange Stripes with the same white as I used on the Cab.  A very subtle stripping job.  I've already had some very positive comments on the current paint job, people find it hard to believe this is a 1977 RV!

It keeps refering me to an Administrator, my download folder is full.  Can a moderator or administrator advise me on this?

Shayne Fixed the Problem.
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, I like the Valance on the front of the rig!!!!  Did you put that on or did you buy it that way..  I would sure love to put on on my rig !!!!

f anyone knows where I could get one let me know!!!!!!!!!!!

john

USNRetired

John, It came with the rig when I bought it and is made out of fiberglass.  I have no idea how much it cost... I thought it was standard until I started looking at all of the pictures online and see mine is a little Unique. 8)  The only problem is that where there were repairs done before on the passenger side lower corner, the tow truck Monday last week cracked it.  No problem on the driver's side, so think he did something wrong.  I have the insurance company involved in it since they are the ones who sent the tow truck out.  

My ignition coil and ignition module took a dump... kept running rough, back firing and died on me now and then... not a good thing on I405 South or I-5 South....  people get testy when you get below 35 mph on the freeway here. hahaahahaha...  but I was bigger than most of those who acted like jerks... finally pulled over in San Clemente at the first exit going into San Clemente ... but was still on the freeway just at the ramp where the emergency lane is super wide.

Regardless, all is well now.. except for that crack in the fiberglass and fresh paint job.
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, I really like the valance and will see where I can find one

As for the pic posting -- I think that K-9 my version" cand help you OR maybe Horst

He is an avid person here But then again  PD2  "Dan" has posted alot of pics!!!

As bad as I feel right now I would love to get a chili dog from Der weiner ..With onions!!!

jon

Yep that paint looks familiar. Where do you get the sweet ground effects?

USNRetired

The front end was like that when I bought it.  I didn't even realise that it was different until I looked closely at pictures of other Clippers here on the Website and other places online.  I get to repair that corner again, the tow truck driver cracked it when he hooked up recently.  sigh.... :-)
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Well, personally I like it!!!  I understand that fiberglass repair

is real easy..  I have bnever tried to work with the stuff..  Guess I should learn.

Take care Jim....

John :)

USNRetired

When it comes to stuff like that, I'm dumber than a rock.  I guess I'm going to learn.  The tow truck cracked mine on the passenger side (where it was repaired before.   Hopefully, it will be an easy job and then touch-up. 

Going to have to get some touch-up anyhow.  Replaced the broken Antenna and the base isn't the same size.  First going to try and find a rubber grommet that I can jury rig around the base to make the coverage larger... at least to make it look more better.  :-)
ACOC #3714

Horst

Working with fiberglass is easy - BUT - do one or two "practice" runs first - and - don't work with it if it's hot out (over 85 or so - or in direct sun)

you'll be working with glass cloth, resin and catalyst (any good hardware store or marine shop will have this stuff)  "paper" bucket, a spreader and a brush, lots of rags, and later, sand paper.

read the instructions - practice on something (broken plank of wood, etc.) - get used to mixing the catalyst with the resin in the proper amounts, learn how to spread the resin/catalyst on your cloth and the item your glassing, etc. Watch the set-up times - you have to work fairly quickly.

It's not hard to learn how to do a decent job - getting REAL good at it (boat repair, high quality surf board repair) is another matter entirely - almost an art form.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

I finally have posted the after pictures, above.  Appreciate the info about fiberglassing.  I am going to get started on that as soon as I can!  Thanks Horst!
ACOC #3714