News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Our new 76...I think we stole it!!!!!!!

Started by mdriskell, April 14, 2010, 10:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdriskell

Well, we found a 76 rear kitchen and fell in love as soon as we looked at it ;D! The guy we got it from wanted $1800 cash for it, but he needed needed a Chevy drive train for a project he was working on. Needless to say, I had a wrecked Monte Carlo in the driveway I had been trying to sell for 6 months or so. I was about to give this car away when I stumbled on his add and gave it a look. The Clipper is not perfect but neither am I...and it's got a few years on me!!! Anyway by the time we got the deal done he hauled a junker off for me and delivered the Clipper to us for $1400 :P!!!!!!!!! What do you guys think about that??? 52000 miles, new cooling system, new ignition system, new furnace, all plumbing works, tanks don't leak, gas lines good and stove/oven work great... the bad; IT IS MISSING THE ESCAPE HATCH AND IT COST OVER 300 TO GET THE TITLE AND REGISTRATION DONE >:( :P. I am in no way complaining about this and we are very proud to own some history like this motor home! Our State Farm had never insured 1 of these so I had to take pictures to them...$14 a month and if it ever gets totaled out it's worth $17,000. In closing I am very pleased we were able to scrounge up the money to get this while it was available and am very happy to now be a mechanic, a plumber, a carpenter, and an electrician (the kids are now too)!!! I built trailers for 4 plus years so I think I will manage though ;D ;D ;D so....how many different hinge types are there for escape hatch (lid only)? and the sizes I find don't seem right, roughly 13x22 right ??? ??? ???

John Eversoll

Man Did you ever getv a deal!!!!!

Hey as far as the emergency hatch you might be able to get one from one of the guys here.

I just got mine from Camping world" I beleive there were about two different sizes.

But the mileage sounds great..  what motor does it have.  I have found that replacing the oil

every 1200 miles insted of 2500 is better on the motor.  the rebuilder that Built mine

told me to change oil every 1200.  Anyway congrats on the find!!!! :)  John

mdriskell

Yah, I am going to drive it to the local RV shop. They have a few sizes in stock but they start around $55. I have found that to be fair everywhere I've looked. Oh I forgot I did have to put a 90 on the water pump and replace the lavey faucet, which I liked the original better. I got the kids to believe me that it would dispense chocolate syrup!!!

The motor is a 360 with Mopar performance valve covers... to prevent leaks I was told.
Oh yah, I forgot to mention that I got it from a mechanic at a local shop that has been in town over 50 years!!!

I will say this thing rides like a Cadillac and our family of 5 plus the dog will be taking it on it's maiden voyage this memorial day weekend!

Here is a link to the album of her http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii253/max97801/motor%20home/

Horst

Sounds awesome -  be sure to check your tires too - I'm sure you;'re aware of this - but old/tired tires on a Clipper is not a good thing. Check the production date - don't judge by how deep the tread is..........
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

prophetdaniel2

What a great deal you got there! Great looking ride and cute kids as well, They are gonna have a blast! my four boys are talking about camping nonstop now and it snowed all day yesterday!
I see you dont have a generator, but frankly there a headache and I pratically never use mine. You may want to bone up on the house batteries though.
Welcome to the club!

p.s. wheel simulators...... ;)

JerryT

Welcome and congrats on your new toy! It looks like a nice one. A new fiberglass coach this size costs $80 grand and up, so treat it well, enjoy the savings, and have lots of FUN!!!

JerryT

mdriskell

The tires are good and only a year and a half old. The house batteries are 1 year old and HUGE as for the generator I just want a little one so I don't have to run the motor to charge batteries. We never used electricity when we tented it up so I think we'll survive alright. Just wanted one for the kiddos more than anything...but they don't get to sleep in it unless they help me keep it clean and maintained and they think that's a great idea. A family that camps and plays together stays together!!!!

1 question though... what plywood is on the roof??? 

Horst

Your stoked about the tires! - that saved you well over $650.
Generators - if all you want to do is run a tv, charge you batteries, etc. - a 1000 watt one would likely be fine - the Honda 1000 (and the 2000) are simply awesome - wish I had either one - have seen them many times in person - you can't believe how quiet they are - they cost plenty - but they're worth it.

One of the coolest set-ups is to buy two of the Honda 2000i, with a special connector that lets you run them in tandem when you need more than 3000 watts (like when you want to run your AC unit) - lots of full-timers in fifth wheels use this system.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

mdriskell

:-\ I hate to say it but we're going to have to sell the Clipper. What is a good asking price for one with a 360 with 52,*** miles. No leaks no problems anywhere. :-\

USNRetired

Where are you located?  Bought mine, a 1977, for $2,300.00 and I've seen them go for as high as $5,500.00.  A lot depends on what it looks like, what needs to be fixed and where you are located.

It really is too bad you have to sell it.  I've used mine a lot in the year I've been a proud American Clipper Owner!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

USNRetired

A little more info.  Recently a 1978 American Clipper was up for sale on eBay, buy in now price was $6,500 and it was not sold - highest bid was $4,050.00.  Here is part of their description:
Owners of American Clippers are very particular and meticulous when it comes to taking care of their babies, I liken them to Porsche owners.  Mine is no exception.  I have always washed her whenever returning from an outing and wax it yearly.  Maintenance has always been performed as needed and it runs great.  The interior is as spotless as the exterior, with the only issue being some shrinkage and loosening on some of the overhead cabinet door contact paper coverings and on the exterior there is a couple small dents/scratches on the hood where my motorcycle fell against it.  There are no leaks as I've always kept things sealed.  There is some discoloration around a roof vent where some seepage came in during a heavy snowstorm some years ago, but no leaks now.  All equipment works as it should; heater, roof and dash A/C's, refrigerator/freezer, hot water heater, showers, sinks, toilet, oven, stove and microwave.  It has the original AM/FM stereo/8track player (yes, I've kept the 8 track in for nostalgia purposes) which could easily be updated, but I've always carried a portable sound system with me.  There's also a small portable TV/VCR which goes with it.   It also comes with a portable 1800 watt Coleman generator for those times when you want to rough it and have no electrical available.  It also has two deep cycle coach batteries to use in these situations as well.  One is brand new and the other is fine.  The engine battery is new this year, from Les Schwab, and under warranty.  I added stainless steel wheel coverings a couple years ago and they look sharp.

This baby hums along down the road and because of it's smaller size it's easy to drive, park and get into those out of the way places other motorhomes can't get to.  It's great for weekend outings but I've taken it on long extended trips as well and it's always run and performed great.  It has a dodge V8 motor which has been very dependable.  On a trip South last year I had the radiator recored as it was running out when I went through Blythe, Calif. and it was 117 degrees outside.  I had the hoses and belts replaced at that time as well.  In addition I replaced the alternator with a newer heavy duty one so keeping things charged is never a problem.
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

That last post was on one being sold in Sacramento, CA.  Here is one in Springfield, IL and it didn't sell either.  Opening bid would have been $1000.00 and no one bid.  Here is their description:  This RV does run good needs a good tune up.And a new battery wouldn't hurt we have to jump it.The legnth of the cabin is 13' the whole legnth is 24' It has newer tires,The engine had a new transmision seal,pinion seal, exhaust gasket,intake gasket,and a oil change done by a profissinail still have the bills. The milage is the original miles it was stored in RV parking. the intior is in fair  shape. All the applances work. from frigerator to the A/C.I believe the appliances are all powered by propane. I'm guessing if sombody can help me tell the difference. The only problem is the water for the shower were triing to fix it. if there more quistions please e-mail I really want this auction to do well 

.... in my opinion, people in IL don't know what they passed up!  If I lived there, I would have bought it just because!  Of course, with my wife's permission.  ha! ::)
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

One in Auburn, CA for sale on eBay... it's a '76... is that you?
ACOC #3714