News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

215-85 R16 E tires

Started by Hank Jourdin, January 08, 2010, 10:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Jourdin

Just a word to be wise, about a year ago Jerry T replied to a post that I wrote on tire and wheel size. The clippers came with 16.5 wheels and tires are hard to find in 16.5 size. The stock tire is only 28" tall and they just don't have many other choices to increase tire higth. So you end up going to a 16" wheel to get a tire selection. Jerry said to look at Tire Rack, so I did. They had a very good selection and excellent prices and no TAX, only shipping. I called and talk to there salesman told him I wanted to purchase  seven Firestone transforce 215-85 R16 E tires. He told me they were in stock and could be shipped the next day. Then I ask him when the tires were made? He garantee me that all the tires would have mfg. dates of 09, because I didn't want to be buy old tires. I ordered the tires and they got to my door Jan 6th, first thing I did was check mfg. date 3808  made 38 week 2008. Not 09 as I was garranteed.So I called Tire Rack told them of the problem. They offered to refund the shipping cost, which was $94.00, I said that helps the pain but that still makes the tires 15 months old, I just hope they hold up . Just another day in the life of Hank Jourdin so be carecul out there    Best wishes to all for coming year Hank Jourdin

LARRY RAY

I've seen several topics here about how hard the original tire sizes are to find. I purcahsed a set last year hre in Texas from discount tire and they had them in stock. 875r-16.5. Just my imput.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

JerryT

Hi Hank
I was wondering how you made out on your tires? Do you have them on yet? Do they rub anywhere? Do you have any pics? I wanted to do this but it was easier and cheaper for me to buy new 16.5's this time around. I stopped in at our Discount Tire store here in Michigan and was told they would not service 1/2 size tires any more. He told me that he would sell them on a cash and carry basis only. This did not sound right as many modern rigs have 1/2 size tires (19.5) on them. Any thoughts anybody?
JerryT   

Hank Jourdin

Hey Jerry,  No I have not put the wheels and tires on the clipper yet cause I still have some plumbing work to do. But I did measure before I purchased them and I don't see a problem, but I'll keep ya posted I have been looking at other tire stores just to check mfg. dates. Costco tires were older and more money than wal-mart costco tires 2 years old, walmart 1 year old. So I don't think I got hurt with Tire Rack, they still have a 5 year warantee. I am rerouting the Lp gas line so it won't cause any problems in case of a rear blow.How bout those Vikings Ya!!!!  Take care Hank Jourdin

JerryT

Hi Hank
I am completely happy with my Firestone Transforce tires. If I was carrying more weight I would have liked to had steel belted tires but at max inflation I am still way under their rating. Let me know when you get those 16s on and what you think of them.
JerryT