News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Battery Draining

Started by AnnandEd, July 26, 2009, 01:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnandEd

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading all of the solutions to the Dodge not starting. We have a problem of a brand new coach battery and truck battery that drains very easily. We have to charge them up quite regularly. One question we do have is about a little red light on the control panel above the frig, where the water pump switch is. This light is always on, even when we are not using anything. Is this right? My husband will be reading all of the suggestions given to Syd, he will understand the directions, I just read them and tell him of anything that I think will be helpful to us. What a great support system we all have! Ann

tomfridley

that little red light is 'water low' sensor in the coach battery. the sensor for this is located in one cell of the coach battery and the wire leads to your control panel where the light is.
add distilled water to the proper level and re-charge the battery.

John Eversoll

Hey TomFridley, Now that is something I didn't even know.
How about this one... After a trip to the North for three weeks
when we got back the New Coach batt was deader than my wifes cat.
Now it was a New battery and I did get it replaced Free---
but the same thing happened when we went on another trip.
I even tried to charge it and it just wouldn't charge. $80.00
gets kinda expensive.  Got an idea????? :) John

Robert P. Anderson

CHECK THE SOLONID UNDER THE HOOD THAT GOES TO THE HOUSE BATTERY WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ON.
THE CONVERTER WILL OVERCHARGE THE HOUSE BATTERY AND BOIL THE WATTER OUT (IN THE OLD RIGS) WHEN THE 110V IS LEFT ON FOR AN EXTENDED TIME. I PUT A DISCONNECT ON THE BATTERY THAT I USE WHEN I WANT TO LEAVE THE 110V CONNECTED.

JerryT

Anna and Ed
We have ran into the drained battery issue also on cars and trucks in storage. We have found that the new modern "Memory" radios can drain a battery in a week or two of non use. I spent an afternoon tracing a fantom draw on a 93 Cummins Dodge only to end up at the factory stereo radio. In my Clipper I have wired the dash radio to the house battery and have upgraded the Progressive Dynamics converter via a kit they sell, so I can now leave the coach plugged in when not in use. I also check the battery water and fill as necessary.I have a Onan 2800 generator, a 2500 watt inverter, converter, dual automatic transfer switches, shore power, battery power, and coach 12 volt power (engine) and it all works flawlessly. I drive down the road with the inverter on and 110v at every outlet, so I run the fridge on 110, saves propane also. I have thought about solar but we don't have the sunny days up here, and I like to camp in the shade also. We just run the generator for a bit to charge up. It costs about .80 cents to run it for an hour so I would never get a payback on a solar install.
JerryT