News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

FYI - Broken Back Window - 1976 Clipper

Started by JeffM, July 06, 2009, 01:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffM

Several weeks ago, I discovered that the clear part of the back window on my rear kitchen/bath 76 Clipper was broken (shattered - safety glass). Several glass places told me it is unlikely I would find a replacement. After some searching, I found a local glass shop that said it would be easy to fix because they custom cut glass rather than just replace it like most glass shops. They came out to where the motorhome was parked, made a template for the window, went back to their shop and cut a sample piece, came back to check it, made some adjustment to the template, went back to cut the window (light gray tinted glass), sent it to a place that baked it into safety glass, came back out and installed it all for $260.00. I was going to install the glass myself, but my insurance company offered to pay all but $50. They expected it would have been at least twice that much to fix a rear motorhome window.

The cost of just custom cutting glass with a light gray tint from a template and getting it tempered is about $80 - $120 depending on the shop you use.  FYI - if this happens to you (hopefully not).
Jeff Milligan
ACCOC #3632
milligan50@msn.com

John Eversoll

Hi JeffM, Hey I had almost the same problem...

My back window was removed by a golfball..I called several glass companies in my area and found one that would come over. Just like you ..
Well, they hooked me up with a rear window that is a hardend type of Plexiglass, You can hit this window with a hammer and it will not break.!!   I got the dark smoke tint, But This was my 175.00 investment.
The price of windows it seems is going up.  I was thinking about replacing the side windows  and
replacing them with the newer style of the Rvs that are on the road.  I just found out that they are
$600.00     EACH.... I just might wait on them till I have the $$ saved.
Probably will replace them after I paint the old girl. I fiure with the new motor and trans It needs a new paint job/ going to get away from that off wht and go with a metalic Blue. Take care, John E.

JeffM

Thanks John for your reply. I considered plexiglass but wasn't sure about how it ages or if it would scratch over time with washings. I thought this would be a good discussion thread for other Clipper owners because windows do get broken as in your case and mine due probably to vandalism. Both are options for folks to consider. I could have put the window in myself and saved the install charge but since insurance paid all but $50, I let the shop do it. Also, they now have a template to cut another replacement window from in the future (hopefully not). Best regards...
Jeff Milligan
ACCOC #3632
milligan50@msn.com

John Eversoll

Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply!!  I talked in lenght to the installer about the plexi window..

He asured? --- me that the window will stand up to wahings and the only scratshing it
would get is from cheep washing scrubberss.. He told me that just was it off with water and use windex on the window.  Other than that I am happy :)  Thank you for the reply!!!!!  John