News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Cab Ceiling

Started by AnnandEd, October 25, 2008, 01:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnandEd

Hi.
Has anyone removed the carpet from the cab ceiling, and if so, was it difficult? We have a 1980 rear bath model and would like to change the faded shag carpet currently up there. We would appreciate any tips.
Ann and Ed

LARRY RAY

Sorry, can't help on this one, but from what I have been able to tell, it's glued. Probably with a contact cement. That in itself is about the only thing I haven't tackled. Let us know how it goes. Might do mine someday.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

John Eversoll

Hi there, just read your last and I replaced the shag in mine,
I couldn't stand looking at what apeered to be a five dollar hooker in a fifty cent
house of ill repute.  Scraped and pulled but by the time I finished it was worth it.
I found some Good panneling and installed it to cover the scratches.
Looks great even if I do say so myself!! :)

AnnandEd

Hi,
Instead of tearing out the shag carpet on the cab ceiling, I bought a can of carpet/fabric spray in burnt orange. It was 12.99 from the craft store and worked out great. Of course we covered everything with plastic first to protect the seats, dash etc. Eventually we would like to do something more permanent, but for now is looks 100% better.
Thanks for your answers!
Ann

John Eversoll

Hi Ann, that is what we are here for!! just try to help each  other
give ideas and take a shot across the bow from time to time.
I lovethis site better than the car club I belong too. They are soo stuck up nose pushers. I just laugh at them. This is a real club!!!!
Sorry that I am just rambling I just took my pain meds..?Why did I just say that???
Any way need anything just ask Jerry or Horst...I might drop a
line in from time to time.
John :)

jon

OMG shag carpent on the ceiling? In the cab? That had to be an option. I have a 76 and am now very happy no carpet in the cab except on the floor where it belongs.

John Eversoll

Ya talk about 70's retro"

faarrr out maaannnnnn...   Heavy

JerryT

My shag on the ceiling had to go 1st thing :o Nothing says plush so badly as shag!

JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi Jerry, I thought you had removed that old shag  long ago...

I am going to install a  new headliner this Saturday

Went over to an Auto Upholstery supply shop last Friday and bought some headliner material.  Easy fix!!  Spray glue and adhere
the foam to the serface .   Violla"  Now all pretty..  It is a Foam
head line material there are several colors and textures.. Get the chance check it out at Your local "Auto Upholstery Supply "

John

JerryT

Hi John

Yes that shag was gone long ago, 1st thing I did to the inside. I replaced it with Superflex,

http://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html

My trim guy turned me onto the stuff. It is kinda like a soft scuff pad type of material that you can stretch over wheel wells and other odd shapes. I used it in my cab ceiling and my bunk dome also. It is super velcro compatible (this being the soft loop side) and glues well also.

JerryT

John Eversoll

JerryT

It is, and it is easy to work with also. If you cut it a little short all you do is PULL and it's now the right size.

JerryT

John Eversoll

YEaaaa, "that's what she said"

jon

Your just replacing old carpet with new. Why not paint it. I have an actual headliner in mine so I guess I don't know what yours looks like.

JerryT

Headliners have changed over the years in the automotive world. The Superflex is a multi purpose material and not a looped carpet with a backing. I wanted a light color that would not show dirt and be soft and durable. Painting the old would have accomplished that but what most people my age dislike is the texture, look and smell of old shag carpeting, so old orange shag on a ceiling is a "what were they thinking" mental response. It was also an economy move I feel "we got it we might as well use it up" from a generation that saw and lived thru hard times. I also don't think there were a lot of other affordable choices, also like I said before it was a bad attempt at Plush. Will we ever see shag carpeting return to overhead use? I don't think I will see it in my lifetime. By the way, I have a olive green plastic shag rake from that era if you know anybody that still needs one :D

JerryT