News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Advice on purchase of 1978 American Clipper 21' Our first RV!

Started by Shock96, April 16, 2008, 10:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shock96

Hey everyone. I need a bit of advice regarding the purchase of a Clipper. Here is what I know.

1978 Clipper 21'
Rear Kitchen model
Has those 2 chairs behind passenger seat.
Everything works
New brakes
New exhaust (has a leak though)

The rig is in pretty decent shape. It has a 440 with a Holley on it. Runs well. 115k. Getting some blowby on the valve stems I think. Some surface rust, but nothing major.

Good tires. It wanders a bit (well more than just a bit) so I think it needs a front end rebuild. Exhaust leak repair. Roof ladder needs to be reattached to top as it has pulled out.
Interior is decent. Not sure of cab AC works, heat is good. Trans shifts well. Needs some minor fiberglass repair here and there.

In the front of the engine, the items under the hood have quite a bit of rust. Master cylinder, pulley's etc. Needs belts and hoses I think.

What do you think it is worth? They are asking 3k. It drives pretty good. But it will need somethings. My wife likes it. Thinks it is pretty neat and a good looking rig as do I.

Give me your opinions!

Thanks!

Mike

prophetdaniel2

Not that I am any type of expert, but it sounds like what I would expect to pay, for the condition that you describe. Plus Your wife approving is a major plus in my book.
     I guess I would have to ask myself:
1 can I pay for it now and reasonably expect to go camping in a few days or less?
2 does it smell moldy?
3 Is there documented service history?
4 when was the last time it was camped in?
5 approximately how many owners till now?
6 any signs of Rodents behind the drawers etc...?
7 Does it fire up IMMEDIAETLY?
8 Does everything work like from the factory? if not how inconvenient will this be?
9 Does the current owner appear to love this machine and have any respect for its Quality/History like many of those who frequent this forum?
10 Do I have a budget for when things go wrong? (transmission dies within the first week of ownership :)

just my 2 cents
-Daniel

ps I just finished cleaning the exterior of my clipper a few minutes ago (30), "Soft scrub with bleach" and about 6 new sponges took 15 years off of that beauty in about four continuous hours! I am very happy with the results... Thanks Forum Guys n Gals!

LARRY RAY

Mine also a 78 440. Bought  a few years back $2500.  To this day probably with tires, tranny rebuild because I broke the case, and a few other things (get rid of the holley) Edelbrock on E-bay was the way I went I have another grand or so it her.  I jumped on the price. No with that said you have to make that decision. As for me I have a claasic  they are a one of a kind. I know I have been offered a lot more for mine than I gave and she's still not for sale. Check out my post on Clipper papers and you'll see why.
Have a great day.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

rowdiebryan

We bought ours in February of this year, she is a 1977 rear kitchen.  440 with the sofa on both side.  So far everything works but the fridge.  We gave 2000.00 for her.  Tires are fair, she runs and drives.  I have put about 600.00 in it so far, new lines and things like that.  I really like the look and feel.  I dont see many here in the Dallas, Ft Worth, Texas area, so it lets me be a little different.  I ordered Chrome simulators for her, and she is going to dress up real nice.  If you do a little research and can do some of the work yourself, I think they are the way to go.

Bryan

* AKA *

Rowdie