News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

DOWN THE ROAD

Started by mccammonds, November 03, 2007, 08:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccammonds

?DOWN THE ROAD?

When we pulled out of Orland on the 15th of September we had no idea we would travel 6336 miles before we pulled back into our drive way on November 1st.

Rose and I had decided to down size our rig or rigs for that matter.  We sold the travel trailer and now have the Volvo box truck on a consignment lot.   As we were heading to look at a Bounder Class A motor home, Rose looks into this consignment lot and we just had to see that cute little Class C.   Okay, I?ll look.   We left Orland in a 1975 Dodge, 21 foot American Clipper / Class C.   

Talk about taking a maiden voyage!!!  But, when we turned around and headed back west in Jonesboro, Arkansas I had added only one quart of oil.  I had the oil changed and added an additive in Jonesboro the morning we left.    Before we crossed the Colorado River at Parker, Arizona it was a quart down so I added a quart.   The only other glitch is I had to tighten the power steering pump belt in Englewood, Kansas.   We did hear all kinds of noises and sounds but we know most of them will be found out later as we go down the road.   

This was a real transition for us.   After having traveled full time in a large travel trailer and having plenty of storage space to store any thing in the box of the Volvo we found we was able to do with out many things.   I didn?t even put the solar system on the Clipper.  Try living on just one 12 volt battery.

I thought I had to have some serious dental work done that couldn?t wait until later in the winter so we took off toward Algodones to get that taken care of.    The middle of September is not really the best time of the year to visit Algodones.  It was well over 100 degrees almost every day.  After having a well established Dentist tell me I must have two root canals  and an extensive bridging network worth about $2500,  and he promised me he knew best.   I told him I?d have to go get lunch and think about it.  At one of the Dental Clinics down the street I had a $35 filling put in and we left Algodones.

On then to Western Kansas to visit with the Grand Kids in Dodge City.   Then on down to our home town of Englewood, Kansas.   There we spent about two weeks enjoying several other Rvers who parked with us in Englewood?s city park.   On the 13th of October we attended our High School Homecoming.   We left Englewood and traveled up to Greensburg, Kansas to check out the devastation left from the tornado that went through there in May.  Rose had several cousins who weathered the storm.   A couple of them did save their homes but a couple more lost everything they had in the storm.

We took our time across Southern Kansas on our way to Branson.   We had a time getting through the back roads around Branson.  When we finally pulled in to the SKP RV park it was well after dark.    We vowed then that next time if there is ever was to be a next time we?ll take a bus tour into that maze they call Branson.

We pulled into Harrison, Arkansas about noon the next day.   My son Theron manages a cow/calf operation just west of Harrison.    Before supper he had ?Dad? exhausted to the point that I?m  not sure I have fully recovered.    We were working some of the herd bulls when I climbed into one of the pens to drive them into a chute to worm and vaccinate them.  Theron asked me ?How old are you Dad?   I told him ?I?m 67"   He said some of those bulls don?t know how old you are.   I reckon he was telling me I?m too old and slow to be working a pens of bulls.  When we left a couple of days later I was so stiff and sore it was hard to believe.   I had muscles aching I hadn?t used in years.   

On down to Jonesboro to visit with the other Son.   He was on his week end for his paramedic job in West Memphis, Arkansas.    He had promised his wife Lilly he would try and level the back of the their house during the weekend.   Having such sore muscles I knew I would be of no help.   Still had a good visit.   A cold front hit there and it started raining.    I told Rose ?It?s time to head south?   We left and drove until we ran out of the rain.   By then we were crossing the Oklahoma border.   

After one whole day on the worst roads (Oklahoma?s Interstate Hiway I-40) we have seen in some time we pulled into Colony, Oklahoma where we picked up our mail.  We made up our mind to get off the interstate.   Down through Texas, across Southeast New Mexico we spent a night in Columbus, N. M..

In Benson on our lot we done some minor repair work on the Casita.  We  then rented a big U-Haul trailer and loaded up all our belongings we had in the Casita.

Still wasn?t too sure about driving a 32 year old Dodge 1300 and some odd miles pulling a big trailer loaded with way too much weight.  But other than using a lot of gas we made it with out any major problems.   

When we pulled into our place in Orland we were both so played out we couldn?t finish unloading the trailer and I had to call on two young men to come and helped us.  Rose has made a good start on putting some of it away but she said today she wasn?t sure where it would all fit.   

We had a wonderful trip.  The weather was pretty good and we are very thankful to be back in Orland.   Rose must of taken more that a 1000 pictures with the digital camera.  She says every place you look you can see a picture.  We think the country around Harrison, Arkansas was some of the most beautiful we seen on the whole trip.  God?s favorite color must be green..  Oh Yes!  I?ve already started planning our next trip.

I have to put the solar system on the Clipper and do a few other things tp it to get ready to make our yearly trek to the southwest desert for the winter.

More later Down the Road.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED