News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

My new American Clipper: Have you seen one like this?

Started by Cenote, September 04, 2007, 08:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cenote

As a wedding present for ourselves, my new wife and I bought ourselves a small van style RV about a month ago.  I thought it was a Champion Fleet Transvan, but turns out it is an American Clipper!

I cant find much info, and we got no paperwork with purchase. 
It was sold to us as a 1980 Dodge RV.

It is 19'4", 1980 on 1979 Dodge Sportsman w/440.  Has everything but a generator.  Tanks are suprisingly big.

We love it.  A lot.

JerryT

Cenote
There is some info on the HomePage (no link, Hey Shayne how about a link?) I read they made very few, glad yours survrved, tell us more about it.
JerryT

Cenote

So I have done some more research this morning, thanks JerryT, and have discovered that we are the proud owners of an "American Clipper Luxur Van."  One of only 24 ever made! 

Here she is this weekend at Sol Duc Hot Springs Campground, and in Port Angeles, Wa!

More info soon!

Cenote

So I have a 719F.  Glad to know it.  Things never quite lined up with the Champion Fleet brand vans.

Well...56,000 miles, built on a 1979 Dodge Sportsman w/440 & 727.  It seems that these Vans were introduced to combat rising gas costs for RV's.  Dont know why they would put a 440 in it though.    ;D

Very light and strong fiberglass body like the larger Clippers.  It seems like it may be 3 pieces and not 5.  Very low with no overhead cab and no roof AC.  I am getting 12 mpg!!!!!  Unheard of with this engine.  I drive very judiciously though.

I am assuming that the tanks were stock tanks they had at the factory already.  Fuel must be 50 gallons (I was thinking 60), fresh would be 40 gallons, propane 50#, hot water 6g, grey and black are very large, I dont know what they might be.  Grey is large like the fuel tank, and black is maybe half the size.  All are huge for a van style RV.

We have a new toilet (previous owner) and in-shower.  Bathroom (drivers side rear) is not large but I can use the facilities and even shower with no problems, can stand up fully and can shut the door.  I am 5'10".  There is a sink in the bathroom also. 

Across is the 2 burner stove.  I can stand up here also.  The rear area is actually about 6" lower than the rest of the house.  We have lots of counter space, a sink, a 4 seat dinette that converts into a  bed on the pass. side and a 6' long couch that folds into a bed also, on the drivers side.  I have made some little boards that bridge the gap between the beds and they can be either 2-2 person beds, or 1-king size bed.  My wife can stand up without hitting her head in the entire house, she is 5'. 

We have a new 2 way fridge w/freezer also on the drivers side.  There is plenty of cabinet space all around, including a closet with bar.  There is ample storage space above the cab.  Enough for 2 sleeping bags, 3 blankets, 2 sheet sets, clothes and towels for 3 people, random boards, a bunch of electronics and a few board games. 

We have a thermostat and well working heater.  Stereo with speakers in cab and in house.  Spare on the back.  Receiver and hitch.  30amp service with 5 amp charger and converter.  3-110v duplex outlets.  6 new tires.  New battery.  16? or so lights inside, including the cab and bathroom.  2 opening ceiling vents + one fixed in the bathroom with a built in fan.

We do have a propane conversion on the engine, it seems to be all there and hooked up properly, but it wont keep the engine running.

We DONT have roof air, and inop dash air.  The guages for the house are not fully functioning.  Tank guages/lights dont work, and battery meter is inaccurate.  There might be a little water damage in the kitchen area, but I think that it is actually just old glue that has dried up and the wallpaper is peeling and causing the laminate to come undone on the backsplash.

It has lived the last 10 years in Western Washington, so it is starting to get some rust.  I dont know much of its life before that.  Supposedly it was bought new by a gentleman, who passed away and then his wife sold it to the man we bought it from, he owned it for the last 10 years.

We got it for a steal of a deal.   ;)