News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Painting Side Stripes of Clipper

Started by USNRetired, August 04, 2011, 05:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I am going to be painting out the side Brown and Orange Stripes on my American Clipper and would like some advice.  I've talked to the guy who painted my Dodge Cab and I believe he is asking too much for what has to be done.  I am seriously considering buying some rattle cans of either Krylon or Duplicolor spraypaint and doing it myself.  Years ago, I "customized" the paint job on a white pickup with some black strips and black panels on the hood.  Did a pretty good job and it looked good even when I finally sold it off about 5 years later.  I want to do an off-white or ivory coverup of the strips and plan on simply masking off the outer edges, covering things I don't want sprayed with some news print and having at it.  Of course I'm going to wet sand the surface first, wash it and dry it thoroughly.

Is there anyone out there in "American Clipperland" who's done something similar who can offer advice?  Recommendations?  Feelings of sympathy? 

Jim
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

How doo de doo Jim ,   I painted he Orange stripe back on  " C G International Orange"

came out great...  I did have a problem with the brown!!!!   Lots of small cracks in thr fiberglass

which I still have to sand down and fiberglass over then paint again..

Projects projects projects,   where would we be with out them

Keep in touch Jim!!!!    John

LARRY RAY

Krylon should work fine. Worked in a body shop for a shorth while (kinda of a part time thing) So be sure and wipe down with laquer thinner before spraying to make sure all oils are removed and then wipe with a tack cloth. A cheese cloth works well to.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Anniepoo

If you're near the San Francisco bay area and will pay for the vinyl, I've got access to a vinyl cutter & would do them for you. That'd give a very professional result - it's the same technique used for things like the flames on hot rods.

USNRetired

Larry and Annie, Thanks for the the advice and offer.  I live in San Diego County, next door to Marine Base Camp Pendleton, so San Francisco is a bit of a drive for me.  I think I am going to try the rattle can method first...  if that doesn't work out worth a darn, I can always sand it off and try something different.   8)

Wife won't let me use pink spray paint, so the color is going to be "Almond."  Of course the Grand daughters are rooting for pink!  ha ha ha ha ha!!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

bulldog 1995

from a person that works full time in an auto body shop and has restored several cars and trucks, don't use Krylon! Krylon is fine for home decor but on a rig that goes 55mph down the road it will look good for about 3 mths than look very bad, assuming it sticks at all to the fiberglass. you need to get a special primer for fiberglass use it and the paint job will look good for years to come after the primer use any Duplicolor paints, they are real auto paint. your local auto parts house will have the paint but you may have to go to a auto body supply store or hot rod shop (classic corvettes are mostly fiberglass) to get the right primer. If you do this you will be happy with the paint work for years to come!
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

John Eversoll

Well, I will put my two cents in

I did use automotive paint but it was NOT just for Plastic cars...

Remember if you do paint the rig, get the matching primer for the job

"same name" bonzo primer use with Bonzo paint....
otherwise your paint can wrinkle.....