News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Fuel Gauge Question!

Started by 1979 Clippa, April 17, 2007, 07:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1979 Clippa

I just baught a 1979 Clipper and ran into a small problem. My fuel gauge only reads a under 1/4 of a tank full and empty. Sometimes when I feel it up it moves maybe 2 notches then when the tank is lower is moves down two or so.... I have never played with gauges before, is there anybody that can give me some tips on what I need to tear into or maybe just buy a whole new gauge all together?? Other then that I love my new toy!

vwkess

The gauge is probably ok. Usually it is the sending unit in the tank that has issues (contacts on the wiper gets corrosion). I think there was a post in the forum previously that gave some tips on troubleshooting it and testing the gauge.

Shayne

Also, if you have the 55 gallon tank, it will only read 3/4 full when it's full. This is "normal" as a custom calibrated sender unit was not made.  They just used the one provided with the 36 gallon tank from the factory.  Or so the story goes.....
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146